Boys bits!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place i'm not sure where to put it. My question is when do the boys bits start to work? lol i've read different things in different places, my babies have just hit 8 weeks but when i tried to seperate them from mum a few days ago they looked so sad so i want to leave them as long as possible. i have heard 8 weeks sometimes is possible for boys but this is rare isn't it?what is usual? thanks

I know Tinysmom had a few boys whose bits dropped at 8 weeks.Usually it's more like 12 weeks, although if the bits drop you need to get the boys separated. Small breeds tend to mature faster than larger breeds, too.

My very limited understanding is that the smaller the breeder - the sooner they drop.

I've had more than one boy drop at 8 weeks.......and one was left in with mama too long - I pulled him out at 8 weeks and 3 days (this wasin 2005)....surprise! About 28 days later there was fur pulled and a nice nest and torts....and I was like "What the hay?"

Mama was black....there were no torts around and the only tort she HAD been around was her tort buck that had been removed 4 weeks earlier.

Eureka just dropped his last week - he was born 11/24.....

Peg

Thanks for those replies, it is harder for me as i don't even know how to class my buns because they are a cross betweena mini lop and a french lop, couldn't get more different really lol!When they do drop will i be able to see them all the time then? becausei have had boys where i couldn't see them unless near a girl, and one with very visible ones all the time.

Bucks have the ability to retract their testicles, so the testicles may not be visible at all times.

Occassionally, testicles are permently retained (cryptorchidism).

Pam

I'm worried it is so cold here though, they are quite small so prob will feel the cold more but i guess i've got to doit! thanks for all the help

Are they outside? You can just provide more insulation in the hutch, or put a stuffed animal of some sort in witheach of them so they have something to snuggle up to. Rub it on the other one first so the smell is familiar.

Latest posts

Back