Boy in pet store...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
I was in Petco the other day (buying some haythat Maisie's CRAZY about), and stopped to ogle longingly the littlechinchilla they had there (that never seems to be awake or happy, btw),and this boy who was about twelve came by, asking if I had anyquestions about chinchillas. Now, mind you, the boy didn'twork FOR Petco, but seemed to have a LOT of information that he wasDYING to feed to SOMEONE. So, I mentioned that I had, at onepoint (though I'm not now, don't worry) considered getting a friend formy bun, and had looked at the idea of a chinchilla, but quickly learnedthat they're not compatible.

Poor kid started spouting all SORTS of incorrectinformation!! He was saying that they would probably be justfine together (chinchillas and rabbits). He also said thathe'd like to have a rabbit, but knew that they had to have some outdoortime everyday, and that he couldn't provide that for the bun, so hehadn't gotten one. He then stated that the "best" companionfor a rabbit is a guinea pig. (!!!!) I didn't wantto invalidate the poor kid, so I didn't say much in return (not that hegave me a moment to reply anything). It's hard at that age tofeel like you know anything...feeling more like an adult, but still abeing treated like a child. Of course, if he were taking aguinea pig home as a friend for his bun, I would TOTALLY let him knowhis information was false, but I didn't want to make the poor kid feelbad. Know what I mean?

Anyway, just felt like sharing...:)

P.S. I would have stuck around to be sure he wasn't tellinganyone that was thinking of buying a pet incorrect information, but Isaw him leave just after talking to me. :)

Well, I wasn't there, but I would have tried to correct him. But I am always the bad guy, hehe.

Btw, I didn't know chinchillas and rabbits were incompatible. The ladyat Petco (woman who worked there) told me that they got alongsplendidly. It didn't matter anyway, because I think $150. is too muchfor a Chinchilla.

Yeah, apparently chinchillas and rabbits havesuch different diets and living style requirements, they are completeyuncompatible. :)

I'm not totally sure...you could try asking thatquestion as a new topic. I was looking for Maisie to LIVEwith a friend. I'm sure if they had their separate places tosleep at night and such, it wouldn't be bad, but I would rather you askpeople that would know better. I mean, I believe they getalong, but I was told by a few people on this board and another bunnyboard I go to that them living together is a real no-no.Check out this thread that I asked in:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12982&forum_id=1

Anyway, hope that helps! :)

I have a rabbit and a chinchilla that I let playtogether sometimes. They have separate cages and each have their ownfood and such. And yes, they both have VERY different livingrequirements. Rabbits prefer more horizontal space. Chinchillas like tojump and climb. I've even caught mine hanging upside down by the cagebars.

However, when they are out together, they seem to get along fine.Sylvester the chinchilla annoys Keehani (holland lop) after a while.He's quick and spunky, and she's more mellow, so I keep theirinteractions brief. Nevertheless.. they seem to enjoy some company.

But if you're considering getting a chinchilla.. I would search for abreeder in your area. I picked a beige chinchilla up for $50 =)

I don't know about the chinchilla/ rabbit combo.I think the reason why at petstores they are so expensive is for a goodreason. Probably to detur people from making them into "Fashionable"coats.. ick.. disgusts me. :(

I used to have a guinea pig and a rabbit thatlived together and got along great. I have read websites that deter itbut mine were fine. Let me follow that statement with an explanation. Ilet my small dog, cat, rabbit and guinea pig out to play in our houseat that time together as well. Yes, they all got along great, so I mayhave unique animals. My cat has always been awesome. I had hamstersthat would escape and she used to stand by the dresser or bed (whereverthey were hiding) and help me find them but never hurt them. If someoneasked I would just suggest a guinea pig in the cage next to a rabbitwith all I know now.
I wonder just how much time that boy spends there??

I don't know. He seemed comfortablethere, and it seemed like he's there quite often. I almostmistook him for an employee (he had on a private school polo-type shirtthat could have been mistaken for an employee polo-type shirt) he wasso comfortable there.

BACI wrote:
I wonder just how much time that boy spends there??

Latest posts

Back