Boy, am I upset.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lichanura

Reaction score
I live on a few acres in the country and I camehome to two thrashed rabbit cages yesterday. A stray dog got onto myproperty (dug under the fence) and tore into my cages and killed two ofmy breeder rabbits.

Why do people let their dogs run free??

My girlfriend said that the dog came right up toour family room window and looked inside. At the time she did not knowthat it had attacked the rabbits. So, she saw the dog and can identifyit. We do not know who owns it. The weather here is so bad right nowthat we cannot get in the car and look around to see if we can find thedog. I have a suspect.

As soon as the weather gets better I say findthat dog and its owners and put them in their place. Theyshould compensate you for your loss at the very least. Thatis just horrible. What are people thinking? Do youknow what you're going to say to the owners when you contront them?

I sure do. I have pictures of the damage and Ihave a witness that saw the dog at my door with closed gates. I alwayshave my gates closed. I f I would have been there I am certain that Iwould have shot the dog. How would I know if the dog would attack me ormy family?

Hi,I am sorry to of what happen. I didnt know dogs were like that.

I didn't know dogs would kill bunnies. I hope u are doing ok:bunny18

So sorry to hear about this! dogs can be so evilsometimes (no offence to dogs) The owner of the dog should definitelycompensate you for the loss, as well as keep better control of theirdog. Sometimes a lesson is best learned through the wallet. Also,there's another option, suggested by a member on a poultry forum I'mpart of:

" If the owners don't keep control of the dog and it comes again, use the SSS method:
Shoot
Shovel
Shut up
"

I personally wouldn't shoot a dog (or any other animal, for thatmatter) unless I absolutely had to, but some people feel differently...

Thank you for the words Greta. I am a Biologyprofessor for 30 years and the last thing that I want to do is take ananimals life especially when they are doing what comes naturally. But,at the smae time, we must protect our own.

SSS. I like that.

I hate when people aren't responsible for theirdogs. Espicially when theygo whinning to the spca at the $140fine to get them back. Your rabbits come first, and ifsomeone's that irresponsible to let their dog run around theneighbourhood they got what was coming for them. Is there any cost torepair the cages?

Maybe try calling a local humane society or the spca and report what happend?

The cost lose is not great as I built the cages.But one cage is totally splattered with blood inside. The dog came infrom the bottom by tearing open the screen and must have actually goneinto the cage to get at my female. She must have had a horrible deathas blood is all over the cage. The male cage was tipped over withoutdamage. The door must have come open with the fall and the rabbit gotout. That ishow, I guess, the dog got the male.

The lose is the relationship that developed then lost. I raised themfrom little guys. This was going to be my first attempt at breedingthem. They were just about the right size for the first breeding.

That is awful. Dogs are an ever-recurringnightmare for those of us with outdoor rabbits. Height on the cageshelps, as does a fence, although neither one is fail-safe.

I've been toying with two ideas: a little garden-style electric fencearound the bottoms of the cages, or mousetraps hanging from the bottomsof cages. Or clattery things thatwould get knocked over, orsharp things protruding from the cages.Ought to make anyattackers think twice anyway. Now that my cages are higher, I haven'thad any incidents lately, but I know that it's always a possibility.The electric fence idea is one I may try when we move to a "real" ruralarea.

Rose

P.S. one of my does escaped death by dog attack when she fled into thewooden sleeping box. We found the cage torn up, blood on the wall, anda shiveringIzzy hiding in the corner of the box. Apparentlyshe hit her head in panic and got a bloody nose, but shedidsurvive that attack.

Interesting that you should suggest that becausejust this morning I thought about what the pack rats do here to keepthe coyotes and foxes from catching them. They put cholla cactus jointsall around their hole in the ground. One way that I find the ratsisto look formounds of cholla joints. I wasthinking that I couldput some under the cages.

My cages are somewhat higher already and it was the high one that got attacked the worst.

Latest posts

Back