"Boxing" Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
Aiden was 10 months old when I got him. He wasn't handled much in the time the lady had him and he had terrible manners.

He's now somewhat of a squish. I can hold him and carry him. Petting him is fine and a lot of times he stretches out next to me just to chill out.

When it comes to penning him up thoough he's a rascal.

Even picking him up sometimes is hard if he doesn't want to cooperate, but the worst is when he rears up and slashes at my hands with his front paws.

Honestly, he scares me some then because I'm not sure if he would follow that with a bite.

You know how some pictures show rabbits with a persons hand on the head at the rabbits face? That would NEVER happen here. Aiden "boxes" at me if I get near his face with my hands.

Obviously he doesnt want me to touch his face but why does he do it and (Im assuming yes) is this behavior something that could lead to a bite?

How can I work towards correcting it?

Well, it's pretty uncommon for a Flemish to act that way. Even if he's not neutered. Almost all of the Flemish I have had were intact, and I have never had even a hormonal doe do any more than growl at me.

Is this a new behavior, or has he done this ever since you got him? At a guess, I would say mabye the previous owner got nipped by him and smacked his face for it. I have seen rabbits get quite head shy after something like that, and it only takes a few times getting smackedfor them to get that way.

I'd speculate former *fear factors* to initiate the slashing and boxing. Fearing for his safety perhaps?, from prior circumstances...

Leaf, would talking him in a gentle reassuring voice (you've undoubtedly done this thou') and placing your hand on his head and stroking him, then trancing his big bod of moviestar looks, then walking to his enclosure space and rewarding with a treat help in any way? Laying in his enclosure with a bunch of goodies in your hands?

Foster boy Fuzzywig from WI shelter transition had major issues with cage enclosure. Naturestee is familiar with Fuzza while seeing him at the shelter.

Fuzza's fosterer in Milwaukee has gradually gotten him to trust. She can place hands in his kennel crate enclosure ... whereas before he lunged b/c no one could INVADE his space. I perceive he was punished and hence deposited in his enclosure, and took on some hefty hate issues with his bedroom crate. "Get the H outta here", with territorial rules too. I wonder if Aiden suffered some verbal or physical abuse in his earliest days to instill such aggression, fear, dislike bunny-tude? In the right environment Fuzza's turned into a squishy furrball like your Aiden. :) And his foster mom can enter his kennel crate bedroom (now) while Fuzzywig's munching hay and watching her tidy up...

Our agouti Momma had fear of being approached and picked up, and now is a tranceable pillow of adorable girth. !Amazing how sensitive rabbits are!

NZ Kareena came from hoarder/abuse situation December 04/January 05. It took her several weeks to months until she was comfortable with being picked up. She'd grunt and struggle. ?Something in her past that triggered fear? dunno.

Will he follow and enter on his own if you place a treat in his enclosure space? "C'mon Aiden, time for a treat and to go in your house?" From only reading this 1 entry I wonder if lingering fear (flashback) from a previous month or situation in his life involved being penned up > and it's hard for Aiden to overcome that right now. Boxing and slashing was his method of defense. :hearts Even though he chills next to you and loves you to hold him.

Keep up the good work Leaf, that every companion receives in your care. They are grateful for your care. HTH,

Ditto on gentle giant's post !! You condense words better than me, gg.

Thanks guys. He is neutered - not very long after I got him. He's come a long way from the shy guy he once was that hated to be handled but I think he still needs a lot of work and positive reinforcement. I don't know if being a single guy (my other 4 ore two bonded pairs) makes a difference or not but he is still very pleasant to have and a great joy. On his next vet appt I may ask about his vision. I know theirs is quite different than ours but in some ways I wonder about him, or if that could be somewhat of the cause. Other than that I know he was kept with his siblings in a barn with very little hands on human interaction before he was advertized on Craigs List andI took him in.

Latest posts

Back