Bored with hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzylittlewabbit

Reaction score
What is a good way to get my bunny to eat more hay. Malachi has never been a big hay eater. He eats it but to me i think he should be eating more. I've try putting it in toilet paper rolls, boxes, paper bags and a few other things. Its like he gets bored with it. My boyfriend has a house goat. :p So we get a 50 pound bale of hay. Normally its timothy but some times is alfalfa. We don't know when what kind its going to be till it gets dropped off by his friend. Even when we get that he still isn't real into it.

Does he get a lot of yummier stuff like pellets and veggies? Often rabbits that eat hay but aren't that bothered by it, are just filling up on other stuff so reducing pellets increases hay eating. An average size adult rabbit only needs 1-2 egg cups per day or pellets.

You can also mix things into the hay to make it smell tastier like fresh or dried herbs, fresh grass or even mix his pellets in so he has to hunt for them :)

I fill his bowel with a cup of pellets once in the morning and the later on in the day he gets veggies. Ill try mixing his food with the hay and see if that works. lol

Latest posts

Back