Books You're Reading?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BethM wrote:
Having said that, I do have a nice collection of Neil Gaiman books. I think he's the most fabulous author ever. I read the stories and novels over and over again, every few years. So good!
I think this is the first time I've ever met someone who liked Neil Gaiman books. I've been reading his stuff since I was 15 or so and I go on long rants about his books and people slowly but surely start backing away from me. I went to see Stardust when it first came out in theaters as it was one of my favourite books of his. (the movie wasn't nearly as good, as is the general rule) After I made my sister watch Coraline when she came to visit she borrowed a few of my books, so maybe I won't be the only crazy one when anything else of his is made into a movie.

He's such a good author, I just love everything he writes.

Aina wrote:
Beth: What kind of non-fiction do you like? My best friend loves biographies but I found them pretty boring. I like success books and how to books though.

Recent things I've read are Omnivore's Dilemma (Michael Pollan), What To Eat (Marion Nestle; The Well Dressed Ape; I've got holds to read the biographies of Bob Barker and Anthony Bourdain, also Cheap: The High Cost of Low Prices.

I really like science-y books, as I'm somewhat of a nerd, but they can't be too technical or dry, or I'll stop before I really get started.

I do love David Sedaris, and Sarah Vowell, as well. Assassination Vacation was really fascinating, if you're into presidential history at all.

Rayen wrote:
BethM wrote:
Having said that, I do have a nice collection of Neil Gaiman books. I think he's the most fabulous author ever. I read the stories and novels over and over again, every few years. So good!
I think this is the first time I've ever met someone who liked Neil Gaiman books. I've been reading his stuff since I was 15 or so and I go on long rants about his books and people slowly but surely start backing away from me. I went to see Stardust when it first came out in theaters as it was one of my favourite books of his. (the movie wasn't nearly as good, as is the general rule) After I made my sister watch Coraline when she came to visit she borrowed a few of my books, so maybe I won't be the only crazy one when anything else of his is made into a movie.

He's such a good author, I just love everything he writes.

I love Neil Gaiman so much! I also don't personally know anyone who has read his stuff without me giving it to them. My husband liked Good Omens and American Gods. I'm trying to get him to read more Gaiman, but he's not much of a reader. He did enjoy the movie versions of Stardust and Coraline. (Reminds me, I need to go buy Coraline, now that it's out on dvd.)

I've been reading Gaiman since the Sandman days. Probably started around the time The Dollhouse came out as a collected graphic novel.

Started listening to Tori Amos around the same time, totally independent of reading Neil Gaiman. Serendipity.

BethM wrote:
Aina wrote:
I really like science-y books, as I'm somewhat of a nerd, but they can't be too technical or dry, or I'll stop before I really get started. nation Vacation was really fascinating, if you're into presidential history at all.

Have you read 'Galileo's Daughter' by Sobel? Its a story about Galileo but almost told in a story format. I studied it for my A Levels, it was really interesting!

Galileo Galilei is famous for many things: for his science (Einstein called him the "father of modern physics"); for his flamboyant style (he wrote in Italian not Latin, enlivened texts with rough humour, argued loudly in staged debates) and for his harsh treatment by the Catholic Church. What's less well known are the details of his private life--a life that, as Dava Sobel points out in Galileo's Daughter, was just as complex as the scientist's public life. Galileo had three illegitimate children; the book's title refers to the oldest, Virginia, later Suor Maria Celeste (she took the name in acknowledgement of her father's fascination with the stars). Unable to marry because of her illegitimate status, Virginia entered a convent at 13 and maintained a lifelong correspondence with her father. Sobel has translated Virginia's surviving letters for the first time and, combining those letters, commentary, and gorgeous illustrations, she sets out in Galileo's Daughter to illuminate a different side of Galileo, the father deeply committed to his daughter and to her faith.

BethM wrote:
Aina wrote:
Beth: What kind of non-fiction do you like? My best friend loves biographies but I found them pretty boring. I like success books and how to books though.

Recent things I've read are Omnivore's Dilemma (Michael Pollan), What To Eat (Marion Nestle; The Well Dressed Ape; I've got holds to read the biographies of Bob Barker and Anthony Bourdain, also Cheap: The High Cost of Low Prices.

I really like science-y books, as I'm somewhat of a nerd, but they can't be too technical or dry, or I'll stop before I really get started.

I do love David Sedaris, and Sarah Vowell, as well. Assassination Vacation was really fascinating, if you're into presidential history at all.
I read Omnivore's dilemma last month. Good book. I liked how it followed a story and wasn't too preachy

I"ll have to read Cheap: the high cost of low prices next. Sounds like something i'd like.

Right now i'm reading "Blink" by malcolm Gladwell. Its really interesting. I had just finished reading "Outliers" by him and liked that too. Not as much as blink but its still good. Next i'm going to get "Tipping point". They are fun easy interesting reads. I wish he went more in depth into things but they are still pretty neat to read.

I"m also reading Charlaine harris's dead until dark(the books true blood is based off). I love the TV show and the books are just as good. A more adult version of "twilight".

When I read I like to have a fiction and non fiction on the go. That way I dont' get bored.

Finally finished The Reformed Vampire Support Group! It was a cute little murder mystery. (if you can call murder mysteries cute) I would recommend it if you're looking for a book that doesn't take itself seriously, and like vampires.

I'm off to read The Accidental Sorcerer by K. E. Millis now. I've heard it's supposed to be good, but I have a hatred of most series (even if it's a trilogy!) so we'll see if I find it worth reading the next two books.

Very into vampire books (NOT TWILIGHT!), witches, wereanimals etc. Also romance. Have almost all Nora Roberts books. Currently rereading some books.

I really need to get on my list of books to read.. lol! Last book I read was My sisters keeper (which was awesome.. but don't have too high of expectations for the movie Grace - never been so disappointed in a movie's ending in my life!)

So far I really want to read the Time Travellers wife so I can see the movie and Let the Right One In after I saw the Swedish version of the film.. looks like a great book (You might be interested in it Ali if you haven't read it yet.. very dark and heavy though from the sounds of it). I just loved the movie, so really eager to read the book because apparently they left out a ton of stuff.

I have a bunch of other ones I heard about and am wanting to read, but can't remember the names now.

Here's what wikipedia says about it.. (warning, not for the faint at heart)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_the_Right_One_In

i am sickly addicted to books. i go to goodwill about ever 2 weeks and buy 10 to 20 used books at a time.

so the last time i updated my in home spreadsheet of books (yes i catelog them, thats how many i have) i was right at 150. this was a while ago. i would guess i have bought about 75 at least since, and my spreadsheet for packed away books at my parents house is at 264

that leaves me with around 489 books! i wont even start with my mom and dads. . . they have to be right around my amount. i come from big readers.

since i am running out of room for my books, and i would really like to bring the boxedh ones with me to were i live, i have cut back on my buying of them. i now have to read 20 books that i haven't read yet in order to buy 5 more.

so my list goes as this:

i just read

1. "The Sugar Queen" by Sarah Addison Allen
working on

2."The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood

then i will focus on

1. "Roaring Lambs" by Bob Briner
  2. "Where the Girls Are" by Susan J. Douglas
  3. "Great Expectation" By Charles Dickens
  4. "The Liars' Club" by Mary Karr
  5. "An Italian Education" by Tim Parks
  6. "The Cockroaches of Staymore" by Donald Harington
  7. "Hannah's Dream" by Diane Hammond
  8. "The Bean Trees" by Barbara Kingsolver
  9. "Angela's Ashes" by Frank McCourt
  10. "Straight Man" by Richard Russo
  11. "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edards
  12. "A raisin in the Sun" by Lorraine Hansberry
  13. "How Stella got her Groove Back" by Terry McMillan
that will make 15!

and those are just new to me reads. i always keep a few well loved books around. currently working on 3 nora roberts books, and Good Omens (Neil Gaiman and friends wrote that one).

my family finds it sick that i sleep with books in my bed. lol. they are piled in my room, at one point we had stacks going in the kitchen cupboards, on the dinning room table. i just love to read. and once i buy or get a book i get to emotionally attached to it and can't give it away lol. its terrible! but i love it

katt wrote:
so the last time i updated my in home spreadsheet of books (yes i catelog them, thats how many i have) i was right at 150. this was a while ago. i would guess i have bought about 75 at least since, and my spreadsheet for packed away books at my parents house is at 264

I do that with movies....the thought of doing it with my books scare me.

I didn't like the Handmaid's Tale. Then again, I had to read it for class. In both highschool and college. Maybe if I had picked it up on my own instead of being forced to read through it twice I would've liked it. (I hate books I have to read, there's nothing worse than being forced into reading!)

I'm going to have to check out some of the books listed here...always have been a huge book fan since I was 9yrs.old (a LONG time ago)..my mom used to really worry when 3-4hrs would go by and I'd still be in my room, reading away..really, I preferred that to anything when I was young (now my kids have the bug, but not QUITE as severely as I do).

At the moment I'm re-reading David Gemmells book, 'Waylander'...both my son and I read him - it's been a long time since I found such a good author, and I never have been a big fan of basically, 'war' novels, but I love his work - I was really sad to find out he had died 3yrs.ago.

http://www.david-gemmell.net/

For non-fiction atm I'm reading M.Scott Peck 'Glimpses of the Devil'.

Rayen wrote:
I didn't like the Handmaid's Tale. Then again, I had to read it for class. In both highschool and college. Maybe if I had picked it up on my own instead of being forced to read through it twice I would've liked it. (I hate books I have to read, there's nothing worse than being forced into reading!)
I was never forced. Usually by the first week of school I had read all the required reading..:blushan:I read chapter books before I started kinder. Shakespeare by 4th grade (Understanding) and so on... I also speed read and retain all the info.

JadeIcing wrote:
I was never forced. Usually by the first week of school I had read all the required reading..:blushan:I read chapter books before I started kinder. Shakespeare by 4th grade (Understanding) and so on... I also speed read and retain all the info.
Haha, I never read anything when I was young. I was the kid you never found indoors unless it was absolutely necessary. There were too many frogs to catch, too many patches of woods to explore and too many pieces of lake I could fish at!

It all went downhill when I hit my teen years and started to fear the sun and its evil cancer-causing rays. (it's a valid fear! my pastey white skin burns like crazy) I got into reading when I picked up my first Animorph book when I was ten and continued to read through K. A. Applegate's (I think that was her name at least?) other series as I grew older. I eventually branched off into other books when I got tired of them.

The ending to Animorphs was both sad and annoying. It didn't even really end and so many of the characters died/turned out a bit off. I spent like four years reading those books, I was so excited for a real ending.

JadeIcing wrote:
Sounds like me. When I was really young, my mom would read to me before bed. But she didn't like to read picture books, because she thought that was boring. (I had plenty, but I read them on my own.) So she read chapter books to me instead, one or two chapters a night. Heard Wind in the Willows a few times before I was in kindergarten.

In school, I always tested out at least 3 grade-levels ahead on my reading skills. In middle school, I would have two hours after school let out before my mom got off work to pick me up, so I'd walk a few blocks down to the public library and wait there. I'd usually spend that time reading books my mom thought I shouldn't be reading, due to "adult themes" or whatever. *shrug* Just regular books. I also read a lot of YA books, but mostly skipped over the kids' chapter fluff books. I liked (and still do) some quirkier books, like those written by Daniel Pinkwater and Diana Wynne Jones.

I was always good at English class, as I'd absorbed a lot of spelling and grammar just from reading so much.

Does anyone here use Goodreads?
I started using it more the last time the reading thread came up. I like to be able to keep track of what I want to read, and what I've already read on there. I also like seeing my friends' reading lists, and what they thought of what they read.
I wonder if you can make groups on there, it might be fun to have a Rabbits Online reading group on Goodreads.

Rayen wrote:

i just finished it. and i adored the book. i love that the diction is a semi-challenge. in that it wasn't written as an "easy read" but it is still readable for just about any adult level.

the plot is dark, it is so very dark that it makes you think about the future. because it really is something that could happen.

i place it right up there with books like "the grapes of wrath". . . books that changed my life a little. made me think about everything.

i would suggest picking it up again, after a few years have passed.

can you tell i was rather impressed? lol

pinksalamander wrote:
SunnyCait wrote:
"The Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult. I am usually not a JP fan because of how predictable her stuff is, but I do love the Amish and it was a decent story.

I have this! Bought it a few months ago. Also not really a fan of Jodi Picoult, I tried reading My Sisters Keeper and The Pact... booooooorrrring. But I'm going to try and read this one.

Amish people are a weird fascination of mine, so that may be why I even liked it. But it was a good story. Let me know if you like it.

Katt... I was disappointed with "The Memory Keeper's Daughter". I went into it thinking it'd be great but I was just really really really bored. Really bored.

Edit: I finished "Beloved" and will be done with "Wuthering Heights" tonight. I'm now over halfway in "Finnegan's Wake". And I can't even tell you what's going on. LMAO

saw a new edition of Wuthering Heights the otherday - it looked like the 'Twilight' covers, even the blurb was similar. rebranding a classic for the modern age i suppose:D

any way im enoying Athenais and Louis X1V by Lisa Hilton. very readable tho' not up to the standard of Antonia Fraser.

I love vamp books too! anything wereanimal, vamp, shapeshifter will do :) fantasy romance got to love it! I've got enough going on in real life, I dont want to read about it too :)
Right now I'm working my way through the Anita Blake vampire series, 17 books! its a big series but good.
LOVE LOVE LOVE Charlene Harris Sookie books and the True Blood show, yep the opening song is my rigtone lol.
Rachel Vincent is a great new author with a good werecat series out..
Love Jeanine Stien books and Kim Harrison The Hollows series, Keri Arthurs vamp/werewolf books are good too..

Latest posts

Back