Booklice or Clover mites? Would either of these hurt rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doodlebugger

Reaction score
We have these tiny little bugs in our window and some around the house. I think I have it narrowed down to either booklice or clover mites. They look more like booklice which seem to be harmless and they are probably around because our windows had some mildewy areas because it doesn't get sun, and the heat has trapped some moisture I think too. Everything I read on the internet says they are likely harmless, but the only thing I could find in relation to rabbits and booklice was an old post on another forum that says your hay can be infected with booklice?!?!? And I'm just wondering if we should do anything? We are trying to get rid of them as best as we can, but the window where we found the most is nearest to the rabbits and the hay. We got the hay from Petsmart and it's Oxbow Timothy Hay. Any suggestions?

I haven’t really heard of those bugs before but if you’re concerned just try to keep the bunny area as clean as possible. Keep the hay stored in a tubberware or sealed plastic bin and only give what they will eat in a day. Or if you can give smaller amounts twice a day and make sure to sweep away any that is not eaten.

Back