Bonnie says 'Hello.'

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnie

Reaction score
A couple of months back, I quieried about theeffects of springtime rabbits may like. The longer days, warmertemperature, and new fragrances that effect both humans and 'dem crazylagomorphs, i.e. rabbits. I'm no vet, yet I know my pet. Here are someinteresting instances that have occured since.

Firs off Bonnie is a flop eared female of just a shade over 2 yearsold. (How old is that in human years I wonder???) She's been in indoorrabbit and suffice to say I've lost my deposit for the carpet, yet tome she is MUCH more valuable to me than 250.00. MUCH MORE. Since sheis, has, and will always be remembered, (Hopefully that's YEARS off andaway)as my favorite pet. Period and hands down. And I've had LOTS ofpets during my tenure here on good old terra firma. Since I keep a VERYsmall circle of friends she's turned out to be my best friend. Crazy,huh?

So with the love in now complete, and since she's been such a good pet,I took her out to a monstrous plot of forest the other day...and what aday it turned out to be. At first she probably though I was abandoningher because she was hesitant to come out of her cage, but I got her outwith some Italian Parsley. I could tell that she was excited becauseher ears went straight back and that nose was sniffing a mile aminute...then BOOM, a sprint of about 50 yards..then she began toburrow...and man she went at it with gusto. During this time I walkedto her and gave her a good scratch as she got good and dirty. I wantedto stay close to her as to scare away any prey, particulary birds. Shelet me..probably because I was carrying the Parsley with me, but mostlybecause she trusts me and vice versa. After about ten minutes ofburrowing and getting filthy she took off again, but this time it was alonger sprint..and how she could move!! They are agile, thoselagomorphs, and FAST. Anyhow, to make a long story short, old Bonniehad herself quite a day. She got a good four hour workout. She gotfilthy dirty. And, kind of the moral of the story: I, after two yearsof ownership, FINALLY got to see a sleeping rabbit, even got it ontape. My advice to all of you? Take the bunny out. If they trust youthey, and this is MY opinion only, wont run away, especially if youbring their favorite food. Just stay close to them since they know usas basically their mother and father. Be cool, Rabbit Owners of theworld. Adios.

Hi bonnie!!!

Thats a really cool story!
I probably wouldnt try it with my bunnies though asI maynever see them again if I did!!So I guess it mightnotbe an amazing thing to releaase your rabbit unless yourtotally confident you have control over your rabbit.I thinkif I took Ebony...I'd erm, never see her again!! It takesfive people 1/2 hour to catch her in the garden! In thewoods.............probably the whole country!!

Glad you came to say hello bonnie sounds like a cute character!!!

Wuv 4rm

Lauren
And ebony and Fidget (aka mr nosy, pig, bumble bee, clueless...)

Wow.. 1 to 10! I always wondered about that.. thatwould make my lil Oreo 40! :shock:*cry* my lil baby isn't ababy anymore!:(

~pam

With all due respect, Bonnie, I wouldn't advise that people put theirpet rabbit down at free range in a park without a harness.

If the rabbit were to follow it's natural instincts and escape, itcould be quite a dangerous situation for the domesticated little one.

I'm glad you had such a lovely day and it worked out, but each rabbitand situation is different and what's good for one isn't necessarilygood for another in this situation.

-Carolyn

Carolyn wrote:
With all due respect, Bonnie, I wouldn't advise that people put theirpet rabbit down at free range in a park without a harness.

If the rabbit were to follow it's natural instincts and escape, itcould be quite a dangerous situation for the domesticated little one.

I'm glad you had such a lovely day and it worked out, but each rabbitand situation is different and what's good for one isn't necessarilygood for another in this situation.

-Carolyn

Very good advice Carolyn. Some rabbits that have never beenin the open "panic" away from the safety of their "warren" (cage) andmay flee.

We've had some that we could let run in the yard, and others that we could not.

Pam

Not only will they run but I know where I livethey use lots of bug and weed spray which can kill a bun when they eatsprayed grass or even lick it off their paws. I do try to get mine outin the yard but still with all the loose cats I stay withthem. I made them a playground in the empty bedroom withthose Fisher Price Castle and little slides etc and they play in therefor hours. They love all the doors and windows to open. I got them atyard sales real cheap

Hey, Lauren,

Try approaching them head on. Approaching from the rearincites their flight response. Sometimes they begin tothink it is a game if approached from the rear.

We use a crab net, with a long handle, and/or a2' x4'cardboard piece, we call a "pig board," to shoo or herd therabbits into a corner, where they are more easily caught. In animalauctions we've been to, auction staff would use a solid, wooden pigboard to move recalcitrant and/or angry, fighting pigs about theauction display arena. We thought the application to rabbitswas useful, but did not need the weight of wood.

Now, if it takes 2 1/2 man hours to corral Ebony......, perhaps a solid,wooden pig board would be in order ;)

Buck

Thank you buck. I like this net idea. I ts justthe mental pictures i get! Shes so clever. My mum is getting reallyfrustrated with her though because she can never get her in. And theother day she chased her for hours in the rain tryin to get her in butEbony would not come in. So I shall look into your suggestions.Thanks!!!!

Wuv 4rm
loz n ebs n fidget

xooxxooxox

Back