Bonkers prefers old hay!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy500

Reaction score
I was watching him today and I noticed that he doesnt eat all of his hay, he leaves it there for 3 or 4 days, waits until its almost yellow and munches away! He still eats fresh, I would way about 60% fresh and he waits for the rest to "ferment". I checked on it and it doesnt have any mold or bugs. Should I be worried, or do I just have a very particular bun?

Hay isnt like a vegetable, its not going to go bad after a few days. After cut it sits in the field until its dry, then its baled and stored for who knows how long, nevermind how long its at the factory for all those companys that sell it in a plastic bag for small animals, then how long it sits in a warehouse or on your pet store shelf. All in all, its not going bad, its not going stale, unless he gets it wet with his water bottle or pees on it, it can sit in his cage for a long time.

Now the fact that its yellowing is something Im a little concered about... its not supposed to yellow unless its been bleached by the sun, and even that takes more then 3-4 days. Once dry hay is good for a long time.

Now that you mention it, the hay thats getting yellow is the one that is hit by the sun.Is that bad for the hay? He is 50/50 indoor/outdoor housed, at a very secured area outside the laundry room and full access to this room. I never close his cage, but he actually prefers doing all his things (eating, potting, sleeping) outside and only comes inside when he feels like playing. Thank you for responding, I knew I was being paranoid!

Latest posts

Back