Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owl

Reaction score
We have a neutered male named Rusty for three years now. He is 4 on July 4 2019.
My daughter recently had baby buns and we are planning to adopt a female for a companion for our Lovie.
We know to seperate them,female in cage as Rusty is a free roam to bond them safely.
How long should we do this?
At what age can we take the baby bun from mom?
At what age can we spay the female?
I have learned that we are to let Rusty choose his companion.
How do we do this ? Safely and such.
Thank you for your time and response

At what age can we take the baby bun from mom?
8 weeks

At what age can we spay the female?
As soon as the vet is willing. Usually around 5-6 months of age.

I have learned that we are to let Rusty choose his companion.
How do we do this ? Safely and such.
The idea with this is that Rusty should be choosing among other fixed rabbits. Trying to bond a baby with an adult is not advised because, while most babies will get along with an adult, it is only temporary. Hormones can change all that. When hormones activate, either one (or both) can start fighting. Then once fixed, it's a total guess as to whether or not they will bond. The pre-hormones relationship will have no positive bearing on their likelihood to bond. But if they fought, it could sabotage it.
I suggest taking a read of this page for more detail on the best ways to find a rabbit companion for your rabbit.

We know to seperate them,female in cage as Rusty is a free roam to bond them safely. How long should we do this?
This answer will depend on if you go with the recommendations of finding an already fixed rabbit for Rusty to choose. Bondings are best done in a space that is neutral...in which neither rabbit has ever been. So you may want to consider what space might be available for doing this.

That makes sense to meet. Understood.
I was thinking.....keeping them safely in their own area where they can only sniff n see each other threw a small mashed gated area. Do this the whole time the baby grows up. Gets spayed and thee recommended recovery time and then probably a couple more weeks or months if that's how long recommended. Then very slowly bit by bit introduce them that way.
Does that seem,sound like the right way to do so ?
Thank you for your time and response
Sincerely Michele

Rusty our male lives at bf house as I have my own.
I could do the raising,spaying,recovery and waiting process at my home. Then do the seperate area pen for the recommended time it may take or more then slowly and careful see how the bonding goes and move on from there.
What about that ?

Rusty our male lives at bf house as I have my own.
I could do the raising,spaying,recovery and waiting process at my home. Then do the seperate area pen for the recommended time it may take or more then slowly and careful see how the bonding goes and move on from there.
What about that ?

If you do get a baby, that would be the way to go about it. BUT... (and this is a big "but") you are taking a real risk that the two rabbits will refuse to bond. You have no way to predict if they will bond and the perfect planning in the world won't guarantee it will happen. It is totally up to the individual rabbits. If you are fine with the idea of housing the two rabbits separate if they refuse to bond, then getting a baby is just fine. If you really are set on finding a bondmate, then getting a baby is simply not advised.

This is the huge advantage over getting an already-fixed rabbit from a rabbit rescue: If the rabbits refuse to bond, you can exchange one for another. They work with you to ensure a bond.

I have personally experienced several bonding attempts in which the rabbits refused to bond. There are numerous others on this forum who have posted about their bewilderment at why their formerly snuggly bunnies are suddenly fighting viciously; or those asking why they having such difficulty in getting their rabbits to bond.

For those who have not experienced this, it may be hard to imagine. Seeing two rabbits viciously fight seems almost incomprehensible. I say this only to let you know that while some bondings can truly be a walk in the park, others are considerably more difficult and stressful, and some just will not work no matter what. The individual rabbits determine whether or not there will be a bond.

If you still decide on getting a baby (are fine if they don't bond) then I don't see any benefit/reason in that instance for Rusty to do any choosing. It would be meaningless since babies are totally different once fixed & grown so that any baby that is chosen would be unrecognizable to him anyway by the time it grows older and is fixed.

Latest posts

Back