Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katnanw

Reaction score
Okay so I haven't posted in ages :B totally had my mind busy with school stuffs. Here's the deal, I heard my mum say we're gonna get a puppy. That's good news for me because I love dogs, and good news for her because I'm always spending time with my friends/rabbits and she says she gets kinda lonely.

But bad news for my rabbits , I guess. They never really got close to my cats (whom have since passed away, but still.) they're always wary of anything and everything. I tried introuducing my cats slowing and it was fine, until I let the rabbits outta their cage. Man. They attacked my cats as if they were beasts or something. Thankfully the cats were very nice and patient and merely ran to hide/ jump on the sofa so the rabbits couldnt get them.

I'm worried. Seeing the rabbit react to the cats (who have never attacked anything the 8 years they were with us) is terrifying enough. What's a little puppy to two 5 month old mixes >.> .
Any advice / suggestions? Maybe my rabbits will like the puppy more or something ? :/ :?

Free roam in my room only :] I use one cage of the xpen to block the door and cover areas where they're hard between the cupboards and the walls but that's about it :0 they go back to their cage to sleep at night .

So the puppy & your rabbits won't have to interact if you keep the puppy out of your room. Or maybe if you moved the rabbits into a pen in the living room, your mom won't be so lonely & won't feel the need to get a puppy.

I have a success story with bonding rabbits to dogs. Dobby and Jake, our dog have become best of friends and such a team. They lay together and sometimes play. Now here's a dog that was abused by drug dealers and they were preparing him and his sister to protect the drugs till death. Now he's protecting our bunnies and he feels they are his. He is very gentle around them. He always checks them to make sure they are OK and then he'll lay down and relax. They all respond to his bark. And at night, Jake will stay with them until we get up.

If you go slowly with the introduction, bunnies and dogs, along with cats can all live in harmony. Now remember, your Mom's dog is a puppy, so he or she will have more energy and might play rougher than an older dog. But bunnies have an ability maneuver away.

Just take your time. Both you and your Mom can enjoy your pets. Just observe.

Wishing you both luck with your puppy and the bonding of this puppy to your bunnies.

K :)

LakeCondo wrote:
So the puppy & your rabbits won't have to interact if you keep the puppy out of your room. Or maybe if you moved the rabbits into a pen in the living room, your mom won't be so lonely & won't feel the need to get a puppy.

in one of my earlier forums, i did state that my rabbits growled at my parents (they still do, if my parents get too close) which is why my mum wants a puppy, bleah :/

Karen : thank you!! it makes me feel so much better >.< we went to view suitable puppies for adoption today, all of which are "friendly and easy going with other pets." have yet to select one though, will see how it goes and update :)

i hope this won't give me too much of a headache , my boys are rowdy enough @.@

ZRabbits wrote:
I have a success story with bonding rabbits to dogs. Dobby and Jake, our dog have become best of friends and such a team. They lay together and sometimes play. Now here's a dog that was abused by drug dealers and they were preparing him and his sister to protect the drugs till death. Now he's protecting our bunnies and he feels they are his. He is very gentle around them. He always checks them to make sure they are OK and then he'll lay down and relax. They all respond to his bark. And at night, Jake will stay with them until we get up.

If you go slowly with the introduction, bunnies and dogs, along with cats can all live in harmony. Now remember, your Mom's dog is a puppy, so he or she will have more energy and might play rougher than an older dog. But bunnies have an ability maneuver away.

Just take your time. Both you and your Mom can enjoy your pets. Just observe.

Wishing you both luck with your puppy and the bonding of this puppy to your bunnies.

K :)

My dog Abby (that has recently past away), was just like yours. The first couple days when I brought my bunnies home she met them, and was instantly there protector. :) She would play with them, nudge them, but new exactly when to stop. She never played to hard with them or anything of the sort. My family and I called Abby there babysiter.

Although I don't beleve all dogs will behave this nicelly with bunnies, since all of the other dogs that come and visit will run arounf there pen and bark their heads off like no tm. I personally just think that it depends on the dogs personality.

Hope this helps :)

Back