Bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

Reaction score
Over the months I have been trying to bond Budand Nanali without any real success. I had to put blankets over thebottom section of the cage so they wouldn't fight while one was outrunning around. One day I was in a rush for work and forgot to put upthe blanket. When I came home they were laying right besides eachother(faces same direction not shunning the other) so I decided to startleaving it off all the time. This was maybe a week ago and haven't hadone fight yet. I think I've seen ears back once the whole time. Anyway,I decided to give it a shot and let the second rabbit out while theother was out (waring gloves armed with a spare NIC square for a shieldand blanket for any outbreaks) Right as Bud was hopping out over toNanali she freaked and ran for the shred box (2 sided forentrance/exit) and Bud seemed to get excited and gave chase, so I cutthem off and decided to end it there for the night before someone had aheart attack.

My biggest question is, if they aren't being territorial in their owncage and are obviously enjoying each others company (I've seen only oneinstance of grooming through the cage) then were they just gettingsuprised by the fact the other one was out or do you think there issome aggression i'm over looking?

i am not a bonding expert, but nobody else has posted anything yet, so i will toss in what i think:

it could be aggression still, i would suggest taking it slower thenjust letting them out to run together, my best advice is to force themto lay next to each other (while holding them) and working in a smallsurface (like a bathtub, table, on a bed). once you have grooming andno real fights, then i would let them out with each other in a room.

herman and winnie were both nice to each other if one was cagedandthe other was free running, winnie would lay next tohermans cage and everything, but when they were on my bed for bondingdates, it was always winnie that took the nips at herman.

i hope that helps some. . .again,i hope that someone with more bonding experiance can help with this one!

Latest posts

Back