Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristinpsc

Reaction score
I have a quick question about bonding. Is there a a certain sex mix you must have when bonding? Like male and male, female and female or is it better to bond female to male?

:rainbow:

It's easiest to bond opposite sexes. Female pairs can be done, but watch out for their territoriality! One of my girls (Mocha) ripped a 6cm gash in another girl (Fey) during a bonding session!:shock: I've heard that male pairs can be the hardest, but I only have one boy so I wouldn't know. It really depends on the rabbits, too. They have their preferences, and some will never like each other.

Spay/neuter is important too, even with same-gender pairs. Wild hormones mean more territoriality and aggressiveness.

Hope this helps!:)

I think there might be a couple people on here that have bonded males.. So not totally impossible but not the normal.

Cristy

Well... I've never tried to bond before, but I bet you could try a trick that I use for resistive breeding. Does (females) are very territorial. If you haven't got your rabs yet, pick two young kits (preferably from the same litter, but it doesn't matter all that much) But if thery're a bit older, and you have cages, put them in different cages side by side. The next day, swap the rabbits. They will pick up each others scent and learn that they will have to tolerate it. Keep swapping until a week later, and try to put them together. A little advice: try and put two nest boxes in the same cage or in your house (wherever you put the rabbits) this will say to them from you that they each have their own territory that they can own.

I don't know what you would do with a buck. You guys all probably have you rabbits neutered and spayed! I don't. Mine cost me nothing but pellets. I don't neuter/ spay.

zoecat6 wrote:
If you neuter them young enough before the bad behavior starts, you can bond males. I have bonded males successfully this way.
Hm how young is young? I'm having this problem. Initially i have this male rabbit whom i neuter at 8mth old. Then i got another rabbit(2mths) whom i think is a female and started to bond them together. Theyhad lived together so happily for 2mths alreadybut until today, i saw two testicles on the female and i neo tat its actually a male not a female. 4mths with testicle out but not fully develop can neuter?

It depends on what the vet thinks. Are you sure that the testicles aren't fully developed? 4 months is a common age for neutering. I've heard of some being neutered earlier, as soon as their testicles dropped.

Akkatia wrote:
If you haven't got your rabs yet, pick two young kits (preferably from the same litter, but it doesn't matter all that much)

This won't necessarily help them bond because even when they grow up together, same-sex rabbits will most likely start to fight at some point (this happened to me and a jillion other people). And if one turns out to be the opposite sex, then you risk pregnancy (this happened to my mom and a jillion other people).

If you get two babies, I highly recommend separating them at about 10 weeks of age and waiting to introduce them until both are spayed/neutered (4-6 weeks after surgery). It's just too risky keeping them together. #1- pregnancy can be dangerous in young rabbits, and #2 - fights can break out so fast, and injuries can be serious (not to mention, it will worsen the chances of a successful bond later if they have fought before).

I've already decided if I have it all to do again someday, I'm getting an already spayed/neutered bonded pair, LOL. But if that's not possible, I'll definitely try to get a male and female so the chances of bonding will be better once they're spayed/neutered. My two girls are wearing me out!

Sorry I rambled so much. If that's more than you wanted to know, feel free to ignore me, hehee. :)

naturestee wrote:
It depends on what the vet thinks. Are you sure that the testicles aren't fully developed? 4 months is a common age for neutering. I've heard of some being neutered earlier, as soon as their testicles dropped.
I think its not fully develope yet as its testicles are still very small. Like the size of a peanut. Anyway, i called the vet and is told 3.5mths is too small to be neuter. She said to wait til its 6mths But i certainly hope tat it can be neutered asap. Maybei'll try calling again when its 4.5mths.

I bonded a young spayed female with 2 male littermates(minilops). The males were neutered a 4 months and have never had a problem. Gracie (the female) definteley rules the roost. The boys are just as sweet as pie, so my only experience with males bonding has luckily been a good one.

I have a 6 month old Himi female that is already bonded to a 13 week old male Holland Lop. They are in separate cages side by side but when we let them out together the female loves to groom him. Of course we have to let the male out first and let him get tired out before bringing the female in as otherwise all he wants to do is mount her. Vet says we'll keep checking his weight so if all goes well 4 months old will be when he can alter. My vet likes them to be a good weight before he will do it.

Like I've said before, I never spay or neuter my rabbits because I breed them. So I'm automatically thinking that your going to spay/ neuter them because you guys all seem to keep them as pets.And they don't seem to fight when they're spay/ neutered.

If they are spayed I have found that it is easy to bond either together. If they are not fixed dont bond female and female (territorial) or male and male (dominance) or male and female (pregnant)... Actually I have had male and male together with out them being fixed and they LOVED each other. They never split up which was just perfect for me!

Latest posts

Back