Bonding with a new bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buncc

Reaction score
I got my first bunny, a 2 month old holland lop buck named Germaine, 2 weeks ago. I've done a lot of research on how to care for and bond with rabbits, and I've been trying all the tricks of the trade. I sit in an enclosed area, let him come to me, I don't try to pick him up, etc. I don't entice him to come to me with treats, because he's too young to eat anything but pellets and hay (although some times he will eat pellets from my hand if I offer them to him in his cage). I know 2 weeks is not a long time, but he still seems very timid of me. I know I need to stay patient and keep letting him come to me at his own pace, but it makes me a little sad to see all these posts of bunnys on forums immediately snuggling with their new owners. I was just hoping any of you had some words or wisdom or stories to build my spirits during the bonding process? Thank you guys so much!
Also here's a picture of him so you can see how cute he is!View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1431835293.370146.jpg

It takes up to 3 weeks for my new bunnies to warm up to me. With my rabbits while I am feeding them I put the pellets in the bowl and stroke them while they are eating so they think about your hand in a good way, although if they freak out I remove my hand.

With my rabbit, I fed her pellets by hand a lot of times. Once she was old enough to limit her pellet intake, I fed her ONLY from hand and I would pet her with the other hand as she nommed her pellets. As a result, she's very friendly and not shy of hands.

I would give him time and let him get used to his surroundings; for the first couple days, I barely fooled with my rabbit to let her get acclimated. I put food and water in, checked on her periodically, and overall tried to not overwhelm her. She got used to everything after a few days and I could begin getting her used to being touched/handled.

Every rabbit is an individual, however, and each one may take more or less time than another. Hollies are known to be very friendly/laidback buns so I think he'll begin making progress soon. :) I'd try to handfeed him if you can, though, so he can get used to your hands. Don't pursue/chase him however; if he doesn't seem interested in eating from your hand, it would be wise to back off and try it again later. Since grass is something young rabbits can have (in small amounts) you may try getting a few pieces of grass and enticing him with those. Not much, however, as it can still cause digestive upset if you overdo it. But enough to give him a treat would be okay, I'd think. :)

I will definitely follow this thread because I have the same issue.. Franky is a holly, and even about the same age (2 weeks older). He's also still timid. I'm trying to do the same thing, trying to associate my hand with good things like food...
In the evening I sometimes lay on the floor, and talk to him calmly so he gets used to my voice. There is some progress, but yeah, I wish it progessed faster! I do sometimes pick him up to get him back inside of his cage but I try to avoid it. I'm afraid the trust that I'm building up disappears into thin air when I pick 'm up but.. How else do u get him inside of his cage when you don't have the time to wait for him to do it himself?
Anyway.There's this blog about rabbit behaviour..I'm reading up on there. Let me find u the link.

You've only known Germ for 2 weeks! The chances of you two being besties in less than a fortnight are very slim I'd say.
Some rabbits take more time to warm up, just like anyone else.
I say wait it out and don't be too pushy at first, no one appreciates that. Relax and let Germ come investigate you, rabbits are naturally curious so offer plenty of opportunities for him to come to you on his own terms.
I remember when I first moved my Melv in it took him several months for him to come around. I'd lay down and relax on the floor near his hidey hole and mind my own business. He'd come out to sniff me down and I'd just chill and let him do his thing without trying to mess with him too much.
Eventually he'd come to investigate every little thing I did and even try to get into the shower with me in the morning, the creeper!
It also helps to keep a consistent routine. For example; feeding and watering should occur around the same time every day and it's good to lounge on the floor around the same time to add a source of predictability to Germ's life. Many animals thrive on routine and become more relaxed and easy to connect with once they are established in one.

Latest posts

Back