Bonding unspayed bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had three females come of age around 4 months, and they all got separated due to fighting. Same with our rescued street babies, two litters. All needed to get separated due to hormone mounting, and aggression outbursts.

Remove the hormones and you don't have to contend with Moodiness or temperamental "drive"-factors. Remove the hormonal urchins for long-term health!

Back in the fifties/sixties (before you all were born). ;)

Easter time, ugh. The man down the street gave us a little rabbit to add to the cage of the bigger rabbit. My sister came outside (to view the two in the hutch Grandpa had made, located alongside the garage) and discovered the elder rabbit had chewed the younger rabbit's neck apart. I recall the bloody vision I saw when we rushed outside to see what happened to the new white cute bunny we added to the existing rabbit's cage.
What's equally worse is the man down the street raised rabbits for slaughter, and perhaps he was completely clueless as well.
*** It is a scene forever emblazoned on my mind. ***
My dad took out his rifle to end the little one's suffering.

Good thing vets and people have made milestone leaps in Education and humane welfare, including compassion in understanding rabbits, hormones, and what is for their welfare and safety.

If the bunnies are older, do the hormones affect them in the same way?

Like, my bun is 4, and the new bun is approx. 1 or so. Theyve already passed the hormonal stage, right? I understand that they may still fight, and I AM going to get them spayed, but I am curious. Is it harder or easier to bond older buns?

Not always! When Royce first came, he was 2 years old and apparently "pass" his hormonal stage. No more humping, spraying, and hyperness. And he was good like that for another 8 months.

Until he discovered that there was another bunny on of the other side of the living room. Then he started grunting, humping, flinging his poos and trying whatever it took to escape and go see the other rabbit. He was going crazy, and his hormones were off the charts. When he got neutered later that month, he was still hormone driven for another 2 months, and then he calmed down.

Back