Bonding Troubles...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumpers_Mom

Reaction score
So for the last two days, Thumper and Peaches have been fighting a little more than usual. Last night was the worst! :banghead

It started out great! They were eating together and just chilled out. They had a few moments of grooming eachother then after about 30 min. all heck broke loose! Thumper wanted to be groomed and Peaches nipped him then that was it! They went at it and boy was this one hard to break up!:tantrum:

I don't ever end their meetings on a bad note, but this one was a different story. Thumper grabbed onto my hand something fierce (which got swollen) for about 15 sec. so I put him in his cage and then Peaches bit my other hand:pullhair:though it wasn't anything like Thumpers bite! :grumpy:

I was sooo upset, then just hurt! I know we've only been at it for just about 3 weeks but why is it getting worse? They seem to like eachother one minute and then go at it the next when one doesn't get groomed when they want it!:foreheadsmack:

Should I continue full steam ahead with their meets or should I give it a break? If so, for how long? I knew that this was going to be hard and that it would take time but last night kinda broke my heart.:tears2:

*jackie

Aww, poor bunny mom! Sounds quite unpleasant. Sorry they chomped on you, too! I don't know much about bonding, but maybe it's one of those things that sometimes happens as they begin to trust each other? Or one was having a bad day? Maybe Peaches is feeling more comfortable in her home now so is acting less inhibited? I'm sure everything will be okay though of course you're discouraged right now! Hopefully someone else will come along with more experience soon. :hug:

Bless your heart, those bites sure hurt,don't they.

I would guess it's gotten worse because they are trying to find their place with each other, i.e. who is dominant in which situation, etc.

If I were you I would scale it back, but probably not abandon it totally. Maybe try lots of short meetings, 5 minutes type of time, make sure that there are lots of yummy treats, different toys, etc, to interest them. Also, before you do it, and during, make sure that you take a few deep breaths and calm yourself down because if you feel stressed, so will they.

Maybe for a couple of days swap their food and water bowls and their toys so that they are used to the otherss smell, but take a day or two off from actual meetings.

Some people swear by a car journey, some say the hoover, I'm tempted to say a Furby, but maybe try some of those if you haven't already.

oh gosh i am so sorry, it is sad when they bite you too, i mean it actually upsets you when they bite you. I would say that the bite was not that they didnt like you but they were mad, you broke up a fight then you seperated them. I would not take that personal. Make sure you clean the bite wounds out very good.

I am still doing the bonding thing and dont know what to tell you really about it. I am thinking maybe take them back on nuetral territory and start over again?

i am sorry that you are going through this, sometimes i think these rabbits need a good talking to and a long time out,lol

Thx guys.

I do think that it is that they are trying to figure out who is the dominant one. I was more heart broken than mad that they are not getting along yet. I don't take the bitingpersonally. Thumper had the ONLY sad eyes when I put him in his cage and told him that what he did wasnot nice...and turned my back on him. I gave him some attn this morning and he was just like...MOMMY!!! :biggrin2:

I am not going to give up on them. I can see that they really do want to get along. I love when they cuddle together.

I've tried the car thing and it works for some time...but they are not in the least bit scared of the vaccuum. I also just started switching the cages. I think I am going to continue with the car rides and try the bathtub next. :ponder:(another neutral territory).

Well, as it turns out, I have class today and tomorrow so I won't be doing any bonding which is probably a good thing. They can just hang near each other in their cages.

Thank you all again...and if anyone else has any advice or comments, I would love to hear it.

*Jackie

During your next bonding sessions I would try to provide them with more distractions.

Feed them a big salad and give them lots of hay to munch on. Eating together is a good bonding experience.

Also give them some hidey boxes and places to get away from each other.

I do find that in the bonding process there will be a time when they are sorting out dominance. It's once the "honeymoon" time is over and they get down to the nitty gritties of figuring out all the details.

Keep pursuing. If you have to, spend some time in a pen with them and stick them side by side and pet them together. Give them lots of time together where they feel loved and like good things happen when they are together.

--Dawn

Thx Dawn...:biggrin2:I will try to find some boxes...They don't pay any attention to the toys and I am always in there with them. Yup, even if it was for two hours. I don't like to be too far.

I don't think I will be doing a bonding session tonight because of school but I will def. keep you all posted for the next one.

Thx a million! You all ROCK!:hugsquish:

*Jackie

Latest posts

Back