Bonding - the truths and the myths.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttercup n Charlie

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This post is mostly a question/ask for guidance from those of you with experience on the matter. We currently have one bun, but would like to embrace more in our lives. Here are the different opinions we've heard about bonding. Firstly we'd like to know the truth/myth behind these statements and then would like guidelines on how to adopt more buns! So here's what we've been told:

1) When buns bond to other buns, they tend to forget about their humans and are not as playful/cuddly any more and tend to be more interested in their bun companion. Truth or myth? What happens if you have 3 instead of 2?

2) It is easier to bond buns in pairs (as in one on one), rather than multi way bonding (as in 3 or more at once). Truth or myth?

3) It is easier to introduce PAIRS of bonded buns (as in two on two) rather than introduce a 3rd wheel to an existing pair. Truth or myth?

4) Brothers/Sisters tend to stay bonded or are easy to bond. Truth or myth?

Having digested all that, here are the constraints we are working with: Space-wise, we can probably house about 3-5 small buns. However, we can only have two separations of the buns. Meaning that if we had to separate non bonded buns into different spaces at any given time, we only have two spaces to work with. So let's say we had 2 buns that are not bonded and therefore separated. We could not add the third bun (even though we have space overall) until we bond the 2 first in order to free up one of the separated areas. Additionally, sure we have the space, but we dont want to bring on a bunch of rabbits all at once, but would rather take the growth slowly to make sure we can handle it and give them the proper care and not overwhelm ourselves.

So the question is, how do we introduce more buns to the family? Considering we can have 3-5, a couple of opposite pairs sounds perfect (i.e. 2 boys 2 girls :D). We already have the one doe. So what should we do next? Should we:

1) Get another doe first, and then try to bond the two and then perhaps get two bucks (brothers or bonded) afterwards and bond them all? The concern for me here would be bonding the 2 does, since buttercup is pretty territorial I dont know how I would move the new doe into her living space without a fight! Also this depends on truth/myth # 3 being true so that the 2 pairs are relatively bondable. The good thing is that this lets us evaluate how well we can handle the first two and if we want more.

2) Get a couple of bucks first, bond them to buttercup and then get a final doe (or not depending on how we're doing with the load). Less worried about the territorialness here, because I would have to expand her living arrangements anyways for all three to fit, so it would kind of be "new" to her and somewhat unmarked. But I'm fearful of how hard it will be to first bond two bucks to one doe and then bond a final doe to the trio.

3) Do it one by one - get a buck, bond to buttercup. Then get another doe and buck one at a time and bond those two. And then finally try to bond the two pairs, and if it doesn work we can always have two separately living bonded pairs. This feels like it's ideal ... except the space issue. Once we bring the 3rd bunny in, I dont know where we would put the 4th bunny until 3 and 4 bond :S Of course I could instead try to bond number 3 with the first two, but then we're left at the same position as we were with our second approach that we mentioned above.

As a final note, the gender distribution I'm mentioning above of course is completely theoretical; it just sounds like a "happy family" :) If we fall in love with 3 more does, then 3 more does it will be, but lets just go with the flow above for the sake of discussion!

Am I being paranoid? Am I overthinking it? What are your thoughts :)

I used to have a bonded pair that I bonded myself, and I almost bonded them to my third rabbit. I had a bit of a special case (my third rabbit likes... EVERYONE and EVERYBUN), but I think I can assist in this.

1) When buns bond to other buns, they tend to forget about their humans and are not as playful/cuddly any more and tend to be more interested in their bun companion. Truth or myth? What happens if you have 3 instead of 2? Truthfully, I believe there is some truth to this and I believe they usually tend to like the other rabbit first. But it usually depends on the rabbit or how long you have had the first rabbit and it DIFFERS FOR EVERYONE (i wanna stress that!) (I should have waited about a year to bond.). When I got Sabriel (male) and bonded him to my first rabbit (Solara), not only did Solara become super skittish and unfriendly, Sabriel would run when she ran and grew more skittish as well. When they were unbonded (Sabriel broke his leg and they had to be separated), Solara (original rabbit) stayed unfriendly and even mean (though I think that's partially her personality and I think her spay did not work -__-) while Sabriel bonded back to me. Needless to say, unless I adopt the rabbits together as a bonded pair already, I'll probably stick to single rabbits from now on. BUT! I must add that I have gotten it so I can bring all three of my rabbits or two of my rabbits on to my bed (neutral territory) and have them play together and they get along. It's so cute- like little playdates!

2) It is easier to bond buns in pairs (as in one on one), rather than multi way bonding (as in 3 or more at once). Truth or myth? I believe it is true. I believe it easier to bond one on one, then get the third later and bond that one to the already pair.

3) It is easier to introduce PAIRS of bonded buns (as in two on two) rather than introduce a 3rd wheel to an existing pair. Truth or myth? I have no experience with 2 x 2 pair buns... but i feel like that is a lot of rabbits to watch and I would only take it one at a time, but that's just me.

My final say in this would have to be that males are a LOT easier to bond, and with my family, I was once going to be bonded a male and female pair to a male. Males in my opinion are a lot more relaxed, friendly, and easy to bond... so I would probably do the three- two males and one female. But it really is up your your bunbun XD

I think as far as buns bonding closer to their mate than their human, I think it depends on the bun. I have two pair. One pair is skittish and tollerates human interaction, but they probably would prefer I left them alone (they get hugs and kisses every day if they like it or not :biggrin2:). My other pair soak up all the attention I can give them. They will hop into bed and get snuggles if I like it or not hehehehee, I always like it though.

Doing bunny dates at a rescue or shelter is the best way to find a friend. That way you can bring home someone they like. This greatly reduces the stress of bonding for everyone. Using this method both of my pairs were basically instantly bonded. Now I'm working on play dates with all four. I have hopes of all four getting along so they can all be free roaming the whole house rather than in their rooms.

I think by far the easist to bond is a male/female pair (fixed of course).

"Males in my opinion are a lot more relaxed, friendly, and easy to bond... so I would probably do the three- two males and one female. But it really is up your your bunbun XD" this is my dynamic.

I have found the same thing with my buns. My Boy that was alone was my BFF until I bonded him to a female, he became aloof (fine - he now had a bun to speak bun language to and get groomed). But about 3 months in, he began to include me again into his world (think, your teenager just got their first GF/BF.

I am wanting to bond a 3rd male bun to my duo and think the female bun in question is the one that will be Queen of their hopefull trio and the most problematic (she's opoinated). Everything I've researched suggest "Patience is needed"..

Good luck and please post what happens.

Hi Buttercup n Charlie

Lots of good advice being given here. I thought I'd add my twopence worth :)

Regarding whether bunnies that live together with a companion are less likely to want to be loving to their human owners. Well, this will naturally differ from bunny to bunny. However, it should certainly not be a reason to keep bunnies in solitary confinement, which might not be considered totally cruel, but does (whatever people might tell you), cause a rabbit stress of at least some degree.

Rabbits would prefer to be with their own kind over humans - it's just natural and what nature intended. But that doesn't mean that they won't enjoy your company as well.

I would have thought it was far easier to bond one on one, rather than trying to do too many together at the same time. Rabbit dates at shelters are a great way of ensuring that your rabbits get to know each other well, and take away a lot of the stress of bringing your new bunny home.

Personally I think male/female neutered bunnies are the easiest to bond. However, that's not to say that male/male or female/female won't get along.

Bunnies from the same litter often stay bonded, although there might be issues when they become adolescents.

Hope that helps a little.

Kind regards,
Small Pet Select

Here's some experience from someone new like you. I've only had bunnies for 7 months. My first bonding experience. Dobby and Kreacher were litter mates. We got them at 8 week. No trouble until 4 months. That's when it got scary. hormones started to flow and they would mount one another. I was already warned of this and that maybe fights might break out. I kept my fingers cross waiting for the date of the Vet to have them neutered. They were neutered at 5 months. I had it set up at 4-1/2 months, but emergencies at the Vets pushed it to 5 months. Hey sick pets come first, but boy did I sweat it out. No problems with the neutering. No problems with bonding right after the neutering, until we brought Willard in our home. That's when Kreacher started getting aggressive towards Dobby. So much so that Halloween morning, I come in to see Dobby with half his fur removed from his face. Found out about barbering. Had to separate them. All now are in individual cages, but together. It seems to work for us. Would have loved to have it been successful, but it wasn't meant to be. Will look forward to reading about your new bunnies. Wishing you all the luck. K

"My final say in this would have to be that males are a LOT easier to bond... Males in my opinion are a lot more relaxed, friendly, and easy to bond... so I would probably do the three- two males and one female. But it really is up to your bunbun" Great insight/quote.

LMAO! At my office, we lost a coworker that had a heart problem; it was a Huge loss to us all ("Edit" my company is 15 people large, and we've all worked together for 10+ years).

When the Managers started to look for a replacement they brought in a guy that was fantastic, but he didn't like the job; next was a female; when "WE" were all told they were looking at a female for the position, all the women said "NO" (me included) at the same time. We females were shocked this was our initital reaction (truly), and then were still very unsure, if this particular Manager knew what he was doing, but now 3 months later we really like the new Girl..

I find it funny that its suggested that female buns are harder to bond and I can appreciate why. Girls can be harsh/mean accepting aonther!

Brilliant! - "DIY" bonding instruction Flashy. As you know from my PM's to you for help with bonding my buns, this link http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm
was SO helpful.

And thank you to Buttercup n Charlie for asking such spot on questions; and like the reply "Keep it coming the more info we get.." Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Love RO.

I'm sitting in my pet room observing my two bonding bunnies. They've yet to do more than sniff each other and eat each other's hay/food. Layla keeps wanting him to groom her and flopping down in front of him, while he would rather eat! Funny how different their personalities are and how much more they come out in comparison to another rabbit.

He also much prefers her hay and her food and her water bottle.. He hops into her cage and flicks his tongue and grooms himself, while she lays beside the cage thumping and flopping over like a lovesick teenager... He seems to think she's silly, but at least they're both lying down within 2 feet of one another flicking tongues and napping. My poor dog is so jealous I'm spending time with the bunnies and not with him...

I was reading some of the articles too. Thanks for posting them guys! Didn't mean to hijack the thread, I'll post pictures of their "bonding" in the Layla has a boyfriend thread :)

Latest posts

Back