Bonding the boys isn't really working out

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrCarrots

Reaction score
We have a bit of a problem :( Mr C and the Wee Doo have been living side by side for the last 3 months now, we have a large enclosure which I divided down the middle so each gets about 3 square feet of binkie space. Every couple of days I swap them over so they are always surrounded by the others smells and pees n poos.

Bonding's been attempted in our hallway which is pretty neutral territory and for the first half hour or so things are usually great, Mr C gives a lot of attention and grooms (but the younger one refuses to groom back for some reason) and they usually run around and then have a bit of a snuggle while I feed them treats. But every freakin time something seems to snap and they suddenly go crazy trying to kill each other which is very upsetting to watch.

The few times we tried removing the centre of the enclosure, same thing - both buns will be sweet for a while, then one tries to attack the other. Mr C is a year + now, Wee Doo is 7 months and both have been fixed for a while so there's no hormones at play.. we're reaching the end of our patience with them so if anyone has any ideas for bonding tough buns please help!

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=VraH1zjZzYs]http://youtube.com/watch?v=VraH1zjZzYs[/ame]- they can be so sweet when they want to be :(

How long ago were they neutered? The hormones can stick around for three or so months after, so that might still be playing a part.

You might want to read this thread by someone who is having similar problems.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=34718&forum_id=1

Always try to finish your bonding on a high. Does anything particular set them off? Is there a timeframe they manage to stay together for?

Try to have them together at times that are not near dusk and dawn because those two times are the times they are most likely to fight.

You could try having them in the bath together, you could try taking them on a car journey together, or sitting them in a basket or something, on a washing machine.

It sounds like they are trying to figure out who is dominant. The younger one won't groom back, most likely, because he is the most dominant one. Some bunnies don't groom back, some take ages to feel safe enough with the heirachy to groom back.

Be patient, it took me 5months to bond one of my trios, and I have a feeling its going to take even longer with the pair I am currently trying to bond.

OMG they are so cute.

Have you tried the car rides, supposidly this helps. If I'm not mistaken that's one of the ways Haley got her 2 boys bonded but it didn't happen over night. Also I've heard of people putting them in laundry hampers them putting the hamper (supervised) on the dryer with it running. When re had to rebond Wilbur & Jackie the only place they were nice to each other was on our bed, make sure you cover it with some thing in case they have an accident or better still but a litter box on the bed.

Good luck.

Susan:)

PS

Where in ON are you? I'm in Ajax, but born in Timmins.

Wee Doo was snipped in Jan, Mr C has been neutered since last may - thank you for the tips, I wondered about the grooming thing as the younger one is very affectionate to me and will spend hours grooming my chest and cheeks

We'll try the car ride, I think my gf would kill me if I let them in bed as she has allergies!

They usually flop next to each other in the enclosure, but after each fight they refuse to acknowledge the other bunny - I'll end playtime as soon as they are looking happy and before any more fighting happens. It often seems that when one corners the other that's when problems start (like when I give them a box to play in, or let them in the closet)

I'm in London, Wee Doo came from Delys at Hat-trick - awesome fuzzies if you're ever looking for one :)and Mr C was a petstore bunny

Is it proper fighting? What are they actually doing to each other?

They will go spinning around in circles, usually ending up on their sides kicking out at each other and biting - when I intervened I've been bitten on the hands and arms and slashed quite badly. Definitely not play fighting, sadly :(Chunks of fur all over the floor and one time when I lifted up the Wee Doo, mr C came with him (his teeth were sunk into the fluff)

:( Yeh, proper all out fighting. I was hoping it was going to be a bit of nipping or something. That sucks for you.

Back