Bonding - Stuck in the same place!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hope you’re all staying safe and healthy. A little about my bonding journey:
In February, I adopted a 4 year old spayed holland lop (Bailey) for my 5 year old neutered fuzzy lop (Java). The shelter housed them together for a week and I was told to house them in neutral territory for another week before letting them free roam together (Java is free roam). Things were great until we took them out of neutral territory. Java HATED her after this. I separated them for a few weeks and tried to put them together again and it was a mess. I contacted a different rescue in my area and she told me to put them both in x-pens next to one another and switch the rabbits daily. We’ve been doing that for over a month now, and it has ceased some of the territorial aggression.

This is where I’m at now: We do daily bonding sessions for about an hour or so. The rabbits will sniff each other and the fighting is a lot less frequent. They only cuddle when I force them to, and I will put banana on their heads to encourage grooming but they haven’t done it without the banana. Occasionally Java will try to go after her but I just pull him back and he gives up. When one of them is out exercising they always run up to say hello. Java gets jealous and will try to fight through the cage unless he is the one out and she’s in the cage. We’ve been at this place for weeks and I’m wondering what I can do to make progress? I took them for a car ride in the same carrier last night for the first time but am not sure yet if that has changed anything.

Thanks so much for reading😊

It sounds like it is getting better because there is less fighting as before. That's a good sign! It can take a while to bond rabbits. It does make sense that Java is territorial to Bailey because he was the only free roamed rabbit so most of the house or whatever you are trying to bond them in, is his territory. How to bond rabbits so they can live together | Bonding rabbits

Okay update: They got into a fight tonight. I’m so frustrated I don’t know what to do. I feel like I’ve been doing everything right and it’s just not getting any better

Maybe they just aren't right for each other. It might be best to just give it a break and then try again in a couple of months.

Hi,
Letting them next to each other so they can smell each other will make them angry and more aggressive as they want to figure out who the boss is but can’t get to each other.

that they will have a fight to clarify the rules who is becoming the boss is totally normal. They can bite each other and even have small injuries etc. u just have to let them clarify it themselves and that takes a little time. And in that time you should not separate them at all, not at night- never. As long as they don’t injure each other with big injuries.
eve

Hi,
Letting them next to each other so they can smell each other will make them angry and more aggressive as they want to figure out who the boss is but can’t get to each other.

that they will have a fight to clarify the rules who is becoming the boss is totally normal. They can bite each other and even have small injuries etc. u just have to let them clarify it themselves and that takes a little time. And in that time you should not separate them at all, not at night- never. As long as they don’t injure each other with big injuries.
eve
Has this worked for you? I’m so nervous that someone will get seriously hurt

Has this worked for you? I’m so nervous that someone will get seriously hurt
I wouldn't use that method because it is too risky. I would put them in a playpen together all day but put the playpen in a room where you will be. Make them eat together, drink together, but use different litter boxes so there is no fighting. You need to have a dustpan with you to split them up if there is any fighting (humping or chasing). Also, have a water bottle to spray them if they nip. Only separate them (take them out of the playpen) if they fully attack each other. If they do good during the day, you can move the playpen to your bedroom. Keep the rabbits in the playpen all night and check on them if you hear any fighting. By morning, they should be bonded. If they are not bonded you will need to try again in several months or consider getting them each their own friend.

I wouldn't use that method because it is too risky. I would put them in a playpen together all day but put the playpen in a room where you will be. Make them eat together, drink together, but use different litter boxes so there is no fighting. You need to have a dustpan with you to split them up if there is any fighting (humping or chasing). Also, have a water bottle to spray them if they nip. Only separate them (take them out of the playpen) if they fully attack each other. If they do good during the day, you can move the playpen to your bedroom. Keep the rabbits in the playpen all night and check on them if you hear any fighting. By morning, they should be bonded. If they are not bonded you will need to try again in several months or consider getting them each their own friend.
I travelled home to my parents’ house a few days ago and they were in the carrier together for the 2.5 hour drive with no issues. They are staying separate in the basement, but they seem to be doing much better here bc it is completely neutral. They’ve been sharing a salad together every night and I’ve been petting them every time they go to sniff each other to stop any aggression. I’ll try this next - thanks for the help!!

Latest posts

Back