Bonding rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm hopefully getting my 5 1/2 month old Lionhead neutered in a few weeks, and a month after I do so, I'd like to get another rabbit so he can have a companion.

Any tips for bonding rabbits? Would a spayed female be a good idea or no?

I've never bonded a rabbit before, so help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hormones can take up to eight weeks to leave the system, so while you can get another rabbit after four weeks, you of course need to give the new rabbit time to settle in, and perhaps wait a little longer for those extra hormones to go away. Generally speaking neutered male/spayed female pairings are considered the easiest/best.

A lot of what I've read on bonding, seems to be the slow approach. You keep them caged separately where they can't get to each other, and introduce them in a neutral environment (somewhere where neither of them has ever been, like a bathroom or something). Make sure it's a small space so that not too much chasing can occur and don't have food or toys that they can fight over. People tend to keep the first date very short, 15 minutes or less and make it a daily thing, slowly increasing the length of time as things improve.

Latest posts

Back