bonding rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninetoes01

Reaction score
I am trying to bond a new doe (Abby) to my existing buck(Cinder) . I am doing the bathtub thing so they can't get a grip to attack each other. But Abby is getting so stressed out by Cinder that she just freezes up completely. When Cinder comes over to sniff her, he starts off that way, then he nips - and it looks like he's nipping pretty hard! She's so scared of him and a lot of the time he just lays on the other end of the tub all stretched out, completely relaxed!
I thought stressing them out would help them bond, but Abby is TOO stressed out, and Cinder is too relaxed!
I haven't tried putting them in the tub for a few days, I've been giving Abby a bit of a break for now.
I put Abby completely separate from him for awhile, where they hopefully couldn't even smell each other.
Now they are right next to each other and can sniff, lick and see each other through the rungs of the pen if they so choose. My boyfriend says he has even seen them laying side by side through the pen.
The problem is just that Abby is such a high-stress bunny! She kicks like mad when she is picked up, she still needs lots of work! Does anyone have any suggestions?

It could takemonths to bond rabbits. I would keeptheir cages close so they can continue to see each other. Maybe stop the bath tub thing for right now, til they get toknow each other better thru the cages. Then start it back up.

Sounds like your doing theright thing though. It's just a slow process. Patience is the key. :)

Also if you want to be able to hold her, I would sit on the floor and gain her trust. Then.....personally, I would try to hold her as much as possible. Even if it's for a minute. She needs to get use to you holding her. Sit on the floor and just sit her in your lap. Good Luck :)

Back