Bonding rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninetoes01

Reaction score
I want to get a second rabbit to keep Cinder company, but I dont know if its better for me to get an adult, or a young bunny for him. Ive heard its best to get him a doe, so thats what Im looking for, but I also was just wondering what kind of things I should do to bond them. Ive heard a car ride scares them enough that they will bond... any other suggestionsÉ

ps does size matterÉ like if I got a flemish giant for example, would that be absolutely crazyÉ

Yes.. it is a good idea to get a doe.

Age and size usually doesn't matter...
But in my opinion, I wouldn't bond a super huge flemish giant with a dwarf or something.. just in case the bigger one injured the smaller one..

When I adopted Solara's bond mate.. I decided to get a younger bun, so they'd be closer in age.. so that one wouldn't die before the other of old age.. and younger buns' feelings are much easily influenced I would think.. they're like children.

To bond my buns, I put them in the bathtub (it's too slippery for them to get a grip to attack each other) and ran the vaccuum cleaner right outside the door... just like the car ride thing, it stresses them, but to me, it seems much easier and more secure (inside your house).

More people will come with more suggestions and opinions I'm sure :)

so a baby bunny wouldn't be too crazy either? I don't have a dwarf, he's like, holland lop size. (I don't actually know what he is though)
So how would that work then, if I went with a baby, would Cinder teach him stuff? (like litter train? lol)

Um... well if I were you, I'd get a bun that is either at tha age to be fixed, or fixed already. Hormones can really get in the way of bonding. 6 months or older would be a good age... Yes, the buns a lot of times will pick up other rabbit's habits :) But they could also pick up bad habits as well.. Yeah, try and get a rabbit that your bun can hold up against if they're humped and such. :)

i have two buns (one male and one female) and i placed their cages side by side for a couple of months, i got the male neutered and 6 weeks after that i let them out of their cages at the same time (which i had not done previously). After maybe a few attempts on humping, they get along great and have never had a problem with them being aggressive towards one another. In fact it was the younger larger female (standard rex) that was the one doing most of the humping :embarrassed:

jujub793 wrote:
i have two buns (one male and one female) and i placed their cages side by side for a couple of months, i got the male neutered and 6 weeks after that i let them out of their cages at the same time (which i had not done previously). After maybe a few attempts on humping, they get along great and have never had a problem with them being aggressive towards one another. In fact it was the younger larger female (standard rex) that was the one doing most of the humping :embarrassed:
Yeah! That's what I did for a couple weeks after Sabriel's neuter! :) But I would still JUST in case do the bathtub thing. Everybun is different!

Latest posts

Back