Bonding rabbits but got interrupted.....please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louladoll

Reaction score
Hello,

Long story short we have been bonding our adult male and female bunnies for the last two weeks. They have been in close contact for 5 years so bonding hasn't been hard so far.

However today we had to rescue two rabbits. They are both very young and one is female. Obviously she is unspayed! So my adult spayed female can smell the young unspayed female. I stroked my male and she lunged/bit him. He calmly turned away but I removed him for fear of her hurting him.

Does anyone have any advice? This is the first day she has smelt this new female in the home. Is it safe to continue bonding my adult bunnies?

Thank you!
Louladoll xxo

Unfortunately, adding more bunnies into your household (even if the current ones are bonded) can upset a bond as it creates a new dynamic in the house. The fact that one of the females is unspayed, too, can lead to fighting and can actually set back bonding your bunnies a lot. I would try to keep the unspayed female separated from the rest of the group.

For right now, I would pause on the bonding just to be on the safe side. A fight can set back the bonding process weeks or even months.

Unfortunately, adding more bunnies into your household (even if the current ones are bonded) can upset a bond as it creates a new dynamic in the house. The fact that one of the females is unspayed, too, can lead to fighting and can actually set back bonding your bunnies a lot. I would try to keep the unspayed female separated from the rest of the group.

For right now, I would pause on the bonding just to be on the safe side. A fight can set back the bonding process weeks or even months.

Thanks so much for your response. The new bunnies arent even within sight of my female adult bunny. Just because she can smell her on my hands/clothing is enough to set a fight off tho. I just feel sorry for my male bunny. He has no idea why shes so angry with him right now!

I have no intention including them together whilst my baby female is unspayed. I really want advice on whether I can continue bonding my adult male and female even with her smell presence?

Thank you!

Louladoll xxo

With lots of hand washing they seem fine :) Just no stroking my young unspayed female then touching my adults! Phew!

Was really worried when she attacked him like that. All my fault haha!

Thanks for your comment tho :)

Louladoll xxo:anotherbun

Latest posts

Back