Bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caitlint770

Reaction score
hi guys! So my two rabbits seem to be getting along very well now, yesterday i had left them alone for almost 12hours in their neutral space and there were no fights. They are constantly grooming each other, they are good with sharing all the toys, the litter box and even their food and water. And the only time they have almost started fighting was when my female would mount the male for a little too long, but the fights were broken off before anything actually happened to either of them. My question now is what should be my next steps? I'm thinking of slowly putting my newer bunny in the other bunny's home (eventually it'll be their permanent home) and see what happens. But the only thing that is making me feel weary about it, is that there doesn't seem to be a dominant one of the pair, i think the female is the one in charge but sometimes it seems like the male still wants to be (I'm going by his persistence in getting groomed by her, he hasn't mounted her in a while). Anyways, any advice on next steps would be greatly appreciated:)

If they are grooming each other that is
good. When they are together for good, they will probably have little fights every once in a while. Then it will most likely end in a grooming, which means they have gotten back together, or one has forgiven the other, and apology accepted. I had a bonded pair before, the bigger one, the female was clearly the boss! But some times it doesn’t work to bond them. Especially when you have had one for a long time then you get a new one. I also have a female who doesn’t get along with any other females cause I’ve had her the longest.

Don't know much about bonding but if you are going to put the new bunny in the old bunny's home you need to neutralise the space first (thorough cleaning with diluted white vinegar) and ideally change the setup. That might prevent the old bunny getting territorial especially if she is female.

I don't know if anyone would have an answer for this, but i noticed that after everytime they share their greens- my female bunny mounts the male (his face too so i usually have to move her to the back of him). Im pretty sure its a dominance thing but it usually is what starts their little fights. Im wondering if this will eventually fade away and if there is anything else i can do in this situation?

Back