Bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniLopHop

Reaction score
I need some advice for bonding multiple rabbits. As many of you know, I currently have 4 house rabbits, two males (Gary and Houdini)and two females (Becky and Sophie), all fixed in mixed pairs. I have a range of sizes from 3 to 10.5 pounds and age ranges from just a year to around 6ish (they are all rescues so I'm not exactly sure).

I split a room down the middle to get them used to each other with the hopes of all four being able to run around the whole house like the cats. They are making nice progress. I have caught the males laying on opposite sides of the fence together or touching noses through the fence then going on their way. The girls aren't as friendly but tend to just ignore each other. I am going to start the face to face meetings in neutral territory this weekend. Gary, Houdini, and Becky have known each other forwell over a yearand had play dates on the weekends when Houdini's first wife was alive. Sophie is the new wife and so more of the wild card in the interactions.

Now I may be getting another female (black mini lop) from a rescue situation who has lived her whole life in a cage with very little exercise or toys.She isover weight and depressed. She is litter trained and would be fixed before I bring her home. I wouldn't introduce them until she had a chance to fully heal from her spay.

Am I better off steam cleaning the carpets with an enzymatic cleaner and rearranging everything to wipe out previous territories and trying them together, or should I try to carve out a spot for the new girl? Is it better to proceede with bonding of the 4 I have now and add the new bun in 6-8 weeks when she's healed or wait for her?

Thanks for your advice.

I am a true failer with bonding Kreacher and Dobby, but have been reading everyone's bonding stories hoping I can get play dates with these two again, I think I would keep the bonding going with your 4 and then add the new one (good for you helping this neglected sweetie). Why stop the good progress you have now going? You know that when the new girl gets there, the bunnies will react (mine always do to a new one) but at least they will be closer?

Wishing you continued success. Hope you keep updating their progress. And can't wait to see your new girl. She definitely will not be depressed after receiving your TLC Brandi.

K:)

I agree. She may take some time getting settled in. She needs to feel relaxed & comfortable. And she needs to be on a different diet than the others, so it'd be better if they were separate until that's no longer true.

Last night I decided a bathtub date was in order. I already know Houdini isn't going to be an issue, so I decided to work on Sophie's relationship with the other pair. I put Sophie and Gary in the tub first. It was rather uneventful. She shoved her head under his chin and he ignored her, but they sat together. I had my husband bring me Becky to add to the mix. There was a little chasing and one fur pull between the girls, but then they settled down. Basically it was Sophie at one end of the tub and the other two together at the other end.

I brought out my secret weapon, Cherios! The yummiest and rarest nom in the world. They each got a cherio in turn. On each round I would scooch them closer together. After 5 rounds I made a Sophie sandwich, Gary on one side and Becky on the other, pressed together. Then I stroked all three of them. They just sat there getting petted for 5 minutes. Then I gave Becky to my husbnad and I took Gary so we would end on such a high note.

:)

I am trying like crazy too, to bond my little one with the bigger one..I split the room down the center too..I thought that went pretty well.. Then after a couple of days of that..I took the border down, And I sat right by the little one and petting the big one like crazy when she came near..I notice TOO that the little one hovers down and goes under the chin of the bigger one..As if to snuggle but I WONDER what that REALLY MEANS? comments please?

I am trying like crazy too, to bond my little one with the bigger one..I split the room down the center too..I thought that went pretty well.. Then after a couple of days of that..I took the border down, And I sat right by the little one and petting the big one like crazy when she came near..I notice TOO that the little one hovers down and goes under the chin of the bigger one..As if to snuggle but I WONDER what that REALLY MEANS? comments please?

MiniLopHop wrote:
Last night I decided a bathtub date was in order. I already know Houdini isn't going to be an issue, so I decided to work on Sophie's relationship with the other pair. I put Sophie and Gary in the tub first. It was rather uneventful. She shoved her head under his chin and he ignored her, but they sat together. I had my husband bring me Becky to add to the mix. There was a little chasing and one fur pull between the girls, but then they settled down. Basically it was Sophie at one end of the tub and the other two together at the other end.

I brought out my secret weapon, Cherios! The yummiest and rarest nom in the world. They each got a cherio in turn. On each round I would scooch them closer together. After 5 rounds I made a Sophie sandwich, Gary on one side and Becky on the other, pressed together. Then I stroked all three of them. They just sat there getting petted for 5 minutes. Then I gave Becky to my husbnad and I took Gary so we would end on such a high note.

:)

Sounds like a really good session. Yea, Cheerios helps a lot with our Tribe too! Definitely a FAV Nom in our house.

Hoping for the same sucess next time. Definitely let us know how it goes.

K:)

scissors wrote:

When one rabbit shoves their head under the chin of another they are demanding grooming. That's why it is so rude to pet a bun's chin. So the little one is trying to be the boss and demand grooming.

wow..interesting !..you must be right..the bigger one then started grooming little one..BUT..my question is..Sometimes the Big One will Groom little one..and at other times she will Charge at the little one?? MOre comments please?

Latest posts

Back