bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
I got Dexter fixed last month and since then I put both his cage and Gizzy's next to each other along the fence line, they pretty much do everything together socially so this week my husband and I decided that they could have their first date in our kitchen which is all flooring and a neutral area. It went ok, we found out Gizz likes to be quiet then he strikes out at Dexter he wont bite hard though, Dexter immediately mounted Gizz and my hubby wore industrial strength gloves to separate them when they would start circling, in between they would ignore each other, so this date lasted 15 min. The next day they had their second date, at first they touched noses and sniffed then Dexter sprayed Gizmo, Gizz was so insulted he stayed in the corner next to me so we've decided to wait till Dexter's hormones settle a little bit more till their next meeting. I just wanted to know if these two will be a good match?I know its probably a little hard to tell since it was only two dates, what do you all think? also not sure if dex spraying gizzy was a good thing or not since they are both boys, maybe he loves him??:p lol I also forgot to mention that there is an age difference, Gizz is 3 yrs old and Dex is maybe 10-11 mnths old

It takes a while for neutered boys to calm down those hormones. The spray was just Dexter telling Gizmo that he loves him. Male Bunnies spray. It's yucky but it is a fact of life.

I think they will bond once Dexter calms down a bit. He's only 10 months old now but in a couple of months when he hits that 1 year old mark, you will see a maturity level start to come in. I'm seeing it now with my 10 month old boys. They are still in that teenage phase but are coming out nicely to adulthood.

Keep trying.

K :)

I will;) I really can't wait for them to bond because bringing Dexter home has really helped Gizmo, he was lonely and now he binkies more and seems happier:D

So glad to hear that. Slow and steady always wins the race. And it will do both your bunnies good to keep trying and slowly adapt to being together.

Wishing you all the luck. Please keep us posted.

K :)

Latest posts

Back