Bonding Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucy123

Reaction score
Hope this is the right place for this question, let me know if I should repost elsewhere!

I have been bonding my rabbits for about 4 months or so. I have them to the point where they snuggle/groom every now and then but the male Trig likes to go after Lucy still, nipping at her. He likes to bite at her hips if he has the chance. If she turns her back to him, he will def. attempt to bite her, but I am trying to intercept as much as possible. Lucy on the other hand has no problem with Trig, she just wants to snuggle with him now. He snuggles to which is why I'm confused! He is giving Lucymixed signals hehe...

Any advice when the nipping will end, or ways to end it? Iv'e been puting them in a carrier and then on top of the dryer, and also using car rides to bring them closer together. The only reason I do not put them together in one home is because of the nipping.

I would try not intervening unless it turns into an all out, rolling around fight. They can usually deal with little nips and chasing as long as one doesn't seem overly stressed. Sometimes they have to work things out for themselves, so next time, just keep a watch on what's happening but keep a bit of a distance. Maybe try a larger area as well, as sometimes rabbits can get nippy with each other if they feel the other is in their space.

This is what I did for my stubborn pair, and it seemed to work out well! Sometimes they just need time to work out their issues by themselves so they can start trusting each other.

*Edit for spelling

Nipping is part of the bonding process, so unless it looks like it will turn into a fight or either bunny looks particularly stressed just let them go and see what happens. some of my bonded pairs still nip and chase, it's just part of their lanugage, even if it doesn't look for good for us.

Does any thing particular trigger the nipping?

No not really. If Lucy is at the food bowl, Trig might come up from behind her and bite her hip and then chase her a bit. Or if she is just sitting there with her back towards him he'll want to nip her. It looks like it hurts, but if it's part of the process then I will let it go and see what happens.

Other then that they are fine. I shouldn't put them in the same home untill most of the nipping/chasing is done though right? I have them together for most of the day though in the kitchen (the bonding area)

How does she react? Does she just run off? Does she cower in the corner? Turn and face, bracing for a fight?

I would try and extent their time, especially through dusk and see how they are then because dusk and dawn are the times they are most likely to fight. One of my trios still runs and chases and nips and they have been fully bonded since April last year so it can just be a feature.

When you first put them together over night make sure they have supervision for the first 48 hours pretty solidly (if sleeping with them is not an option, then something like a baby monitor can be great), so you can hear if anything goes wrong and can stop it asap.

She mostly just runs away at this point she never attempts to bite back she just wants to snuggle with him.So because they were grooming/snuggling I thought they would be ok if I put them together in Lucy's cage. Then Trig wouldn't let up on the nipping and chasing. I mean I don't think it's normal for the male to be chasing and nipping at the female when she approches her bowl to eat. I mean Lucy has to eat to! If he's snuggling and grooming Lucy, why won't he give up on nipping and chasing? I thought grooming was the true sign of bonded. My other two rabbits equally share everything so they must need more time I guess....

It just sounds like their bonding is devleoping, but not that its going badly, just that they are finding their feet. Also remember that like with people no two relationships are the same so your other pair might be snuggly and very loved up, but these two might end up just being chums, or having a stormy relationship.

I wouldn't suggest putting them off neutral territory because that is pretty much encouraging a fight.

I would keep them on neutral territory and persevere.

Latest posts

Back