bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosiesmom

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a three year old female, Rosie, and a 3 to 4month old female, Butterscotch. They are in separate living quarters. I have done 3 bonding sessions, all peaceful, and I've switched cages. Today I put them in a fenced in area outside for an hourand they came nose to nose several times, then Rosie groomed Butterscotch and sniffed her all over while Butterscotch laid herself out prone to be groomed. Then other times she would scoot away. A couple times Butterscotch thumped and ran away. But all the rest of the time they were peaceful and intermittently very curious, or grooming.

What's my next step? Should I continue these neutral bonding sessions or should I escalate to something else?

Also, how do you know when to put them in the same living quarters?

Thanks so much,

Judy

As they're getting along so well on neutral territory, I would next try them somewhere that both rabbits are familiar with - such as a room that both rabbits come out to play in.

When you are happy with them in that situation, you can try them in the cage that they are going to live in together. If it used to belong to either one of them, I would clean it out fully and wipe the inside down with a vinegar/water solution just to be sure that it doesn't smell too strongly like one of 'their nests'.

Then they can spend supervised time together in the cage, until you feel comfortable to leave them together overnight.

After I've had rabbits together overnight, I've not had any problems with them, but I do like to keep an eye on them for a few days for signs that they're not getting on - obvious ones like fighting etc, but also things like bits of fur laying around the cage. Most of the tiffs that have happened when they've moved in together have been over food (unsurprisingly... :rollseyes) so you might be better to start with two dishes.

And most of all good luck with it! Sound like you are off to a great start. :)

you're doing great so far! i've only ever bonded male and female buns but once i've seen them spend a couple of days together then i take the plunge and go for all night. i do give them their own bowls - after the great carrot incident - and their own sleeping quarters.

from what you have said, things are definitely looking very promising. patience is the key with bunny bonding:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back