Bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
I'm currently bonding Dusk and Candyfloss.

There is absolutely no aggression in the slightest. He (Dusk) wants to sometimes mount her but mainly he is interested and very happy to be around her and he binkies like he's on some sort of pogo stick, but only when he is around her.

Candyfloss has a very chequered past with bunnies has has so far divorced from three of mine, basically due to anxiety. I really struggled bonding her with the Dopeys and Cloud also due to her anxiety. Also, and this is relevant, she is pretty over weight and I can't seem to shift that from her at all, so I'm not sure how healthy she is.

When she goes with Dusk she is ok until he shows her interest and she gets the rabbit version of a panic attack. She runs away in a panic, shakes, quivers, and pants excessively-so much so that I have been worried for her health and separated them due to this. Thanfully Dusk does not react to her panic and feed off it, he sort of looks as if to say 'what you doing?', so that's helpful because there is no vicious panic cycle.

I think these two could be a very good match because they both need a friend and there is no aggression in the slightest.

I've tried several things (car journeys-but they in themselves make her anxious, preparation by swapping things over, or being next to each other in the run, which works ok for a short amount of time, just putting them in together which did NOT work), but Candyfloss still ends up a panicked state.

I guess what I'm asking for is how much do I push her through the panic barrier? My gut instinct is to go for short bonding sessions, or to find a way for them to start a session with her in a not panicked way (something I have so far failed to do). In the UK often rabbits are not dated but put together and then kept together, but I don't feel this is in the best interests of Candyfloss at all.

Just, any thoughts? I'm going to persevere because I really think once we can get through this panic, or around the panic, they are going to be a great couple, but we are struggling with getting past it.

Any ideas at all?

I think it does sound promising, she might just need to get comfortable around his movements and then hopefully a trust will begin to form. I'm not really familiar with Candyfloss's history, but would it be possibly she was around other rabbits before she came to you, and was bullied by them?

I agree with the short sessions. what about putting some extra hidey boxes in during bonding as well, so she has a sort of safe haven to hide in? I'm not sure if this would help or hurt the situation, but what about putting both side by side, then petting both to keep them side by side and not skittering off? Maybe if she gets used to being in close proximaty with him, she won't be as fearful of him?

Really hope it works out! Bonding vibes being sent your way! :)

Thanks for the reply Spring :)

Candyfloss was found as a stray, and has always been wary of other rabbits. I would suspect she has either had a nasty 'friend' somewhere along the way, or has been driven out of areas by wild rabbits. That makes me sad to think about that, and I don't want to stress her more by putting her with someone, if it's not best for her, but I think that it could be best for her, and for him too.

I have tried hideyholes and they did work to a certain extent in that she would cram herself in there, but the second that he went near her she would shoot out and flatten him. She's twice his size so him being trampled is a small concern (although he seems to dodge quite nicely).

I am with you that having them side by side is a good tactic. They spent all day today next to each other in their runs, and most of yesterday (well, all the time they weren't together) and they actually sit next to each other, or lie together, it's only when they fully interact that we get a problem.

I've also been swapping cage contents and stuff so that she gets used to his smell and stuff.

Thanks for the vibes and the reply :) I'm going to go with short sessions, I think, and see how we go, and listen to her and how long she can tolerate with him. When she was bonding with the Dopeys and Cloud once we found a way for her to not be anxious on meeting, they actually stayed together from that point on, and I need to find something like that for her and Dusk. The same tactic hasn't worked this time, but there has to be someway to get them together that doesn't stress her out.

Thanks Spring :)

I've been working hard with them this week, although they had no idea.

I had them in runs next to each other all day, and also have been swapping their litter trays and bowls and stuff around.

Today I put them back together for the first time since Saturday and they've done really well.

Candyfloss has not been running in a blind panic, she has just been stepping away from him, anbd it's now progressed that she will go up to him, and then run away. She's anxious, but not panicked, and they are making progress together.

So far they have been together for about three and a half hours which is huge progress compared to before.

I truly hope I can make this work. They both need a friend they can depend on. I don't think they will be all loved up, but I think they will be chums, or at least, that's what I'm hoping for.

That's awesome! :) Glad things seem to be working out! Sounds very promising!

Fingers crossed they continue to get used to each other, and they'll be bonded soon. Definitely seems like she has gotten truck loads more comfortable around him, give that girl a nose rub for me :).

Now if only they could come down and take some sense into my two way too stubborn singletons! ;)

They spent another full day together yesterday. She is still evasive, but can tolerate him more. I think it's just going to be a case of just keeping with it. I don't think they will be lovey buns, but hopefully they can, at the least, co-exist, but more than that, hopefully be chums.

Thanks for asking :)

poor candyfloss:( personally i've never been a fan of just putting the bunnies together and letting them get on with it. i always do the long getting to know you bit - side by side in separate runs, hutches beside each other, then supervised meetings on neutral territory - bedrooms and landing normally:D

dusk sounds a lovely chilled out bun not to react aggressively. is he neutered or is the mounting just a show of dominance? you do say that you have concerns over candyfloss' health. her reaction could stem from this. personally if she was mine i'd be taking her to the vet just to be on the safe side. you're doing everything right with the bonding but she's certainly giving the impession of:rollseyes being a singleton

No, my concern is over her weight, which is on the larger side, and obviously she won't be that fit. When she was running in a panic my concern was that she could strain her body too much (but I didn't make that clear in my first post), but now she is not doing that, that's less of an issue. Mine go to the vets whenever they need it. My vet is often amazed with how early I can pick things up, and right now she does not need the vets. If I thought she did, then she would already have gone. And yes, she is on a diet but it's not shifting her weight yet.

I too was never a fan of putting them together until I came across a bunny who had some really awful problems (nasty, nasty gut problems) after doing the dating thing, and when they put them together and kept them together, that sorted itself. A think a different approach is needed for each set of bunnies being bonded, because, like people, they are all different. And that's what I do, I try to listen to my bunnies and go with what works for them, so out of all the bonds I've done, not one has ever been the same, although some have had similar characteristics.

Yup, Dusk is of course neutered (out of my 17, only two remain intact, and they will be single unless they are neutered). He was done back in November, and this is probably just a small combination of spring, mixed with dominance. He also just really likes her, and wants to show her :p Although he needs to work on those skills.

They are doing fine. It's just going to take them some time. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work. I have other options for both of them, both individually, and together so if those need to be explored, they can be. for now though, I'll kee going with this and see how they go. Neither are stressed by it any more, she just mostly avoids him, but not in a panicked way (she drinks for England when she gets anxious and her drinking has not increased, so I'm going by that).

Dusk sounds the perfect gentlebun - Candyfloss is lucky to have him. it's also heartening to read that you can accomodate them both if they dont bond:)tho' they sound like they are taking things slow. roxy and hartleybun arent what i would call loved up buns. with her previouse buck, hartley it was as if they were glued together. with her new bun it seems to be more companionship. she is more confident tho':)

That's fabulous! Way to go bunners! :D:D
I'm so happy to hear that they are moving along with bonding, hopefully they'll learn to love being with the other!

Spoke too soon :( I just had to break up a fight. Thankfully neither of them had a chance to get hurt. Me, on the other hand, I have a lovely chunk out of my hand where Dusk bit, and then hung on. Great.

Aww, that's too bad :(. I wonder who started the fight? Hopefully it's just a minor bump in the road!

Your poor hand too, hopefully it heals quickly.
Bunny bites can be quite nasty!

I think time of day played a huge part. At the time that they started fighting the Dopeys were chasing and nipping, tails high, and Lightning and Angel were going insane, and Roger was running around with a huge tuft of Tilly fur hanging out his mouth.

Ironically, it was dusk (the time of day that is).

I think maybe it just woke them both up a bit. They had been feisty and done a bit of chasing and nipping for a while but I was watching to see if they could sort it out for themselves, but they didn't.

Hopefully I will try them again later, but I'm thinking it might be easier to keep them apart and try different options (this is related to accommodation and space issues, moreso than them fighting). I'll see how they go though.

Latest posts

Back