Bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EileenH

Reaction score
Someone on another forum I am on just lost one rabbit and was looking to get another rabbit for her remaining one to live with.
I did put the link here for her to join, don't know if she did or not.

She just updated her thread to say that she found a bunny on petfinder (here's the link:) http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11345532

The person who has Frosty wants to take the poster's bunny to bond them. Have you ever heard of that? I don't know if I'd be comfortable giving up my bunny to someone else, but I am a little overboard.

Just wondering what those of you who have had to bond with a new bunny have done. I know I've read where rescues want the bunnies back if it doesn't work out, but perhaps Frosty's rescue feels they are experienced with bonding? Just wondering.

I wouldn't give my bunny up to some one else. What if a fight broke out and my bunny got hurt, but didn't recieve medical attention?

I think bonding your bunnies puts a bond in with you, as well. The joy of finally bonding them yourself if great.

I also think taking a rabbit from your home where he is a permanent residance, and putting him into a strange home to bond is not a good idea.

Taking in an adopted bunny to settle down and get used to his new surroundings for a month or so, then start bonding sounds a lot better. I wouldn't want to give my bunny to someone else for a month or longer....because in all honesty...most bunny bondings can take months to a year or more.

ETA: The person with the adoptable bunny doesn't sound experienced because most bunny people should know that bonding takes longer than a day or a week, ect.

I just saw the thread on goosemoose. It seems that she will just be bringing her bunny into the rescue for "play dates". Play dates are fine, but not a full time date.

I've read quite a bit about rescues in the UK where the potential adopter leaves their current bun with the rescue, in purpose-built boarding facilities, for say a week or so, and they will bond the current bun with the bun that is to be adopted. That way, if it doesn't work out, then the adopted bunny doesn't have to be returned, and the adopter can find a new match, etc.

Quite a few resuces, and even boarding places I've seen offer a 'bonding service'- often aimed at people who want bonded bunnies but don't have the time or want the stress of trying to bond 2 buns... :?

I guess that from the rescue's point of view, it reduces the risk of people bringing back the bunny, because 'he/she fought with my other bunnies' (which I read about a lot, and defeats the purpose of a 'forever home').

I guess personally, I would never have to do it, because I know that any bunny I ever adopted would always have a forever home with me, no matter if it bonded with my existing buns or not. I think that ideally, people should always prepare for worst-case scenario of the bunnies not bonding and having to live separately forever, but I guess, that isn't always the case...

In short (although I went 'in long' LOL), it all depends on how comfortable she feels with leaving her bunny at another rescue for a week. It might be convenient for her, but then I agree with Amy that bonding is a great experience and it would be a shame to miss out on that. I know I feel pretty proud of my achievements at bonding my 4 bunnies together!

Maybe she could reassure the rescue that she would keep the bun even if they don't bond, and that she would really like to try it herself?:?

Sorry for the essay lol!

The bunny seems to be in a shelter, which is not the best type of environment for bonding, IMO.

The only way I would drop my bunny off at a rescue for bonding was that if the rescue had wonderful facilities, references, bonding success stories, ect. I would want the facility to be like a canine resort, but a bunny resort...lol!

p.s....Eileen....I left a post on goosemoose.

Latest posts

Back