Bonding Process - any input?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yannikin

Reaction score
What up y'all,

I'm trying to figure out how to assess the progress of Cali and Jackson's bonding. I'd like to know if their progress is normal and if I can start increasing their access area.

Cali is a female and Jackson is a male. Cali is the dominant one out of the two and Jackson is very submissive. Thus, order was established very quickly and they got along very quickly in the bonding process. They've been in a confined space together for a bit over 2 weeks now. They'll get 4-5 hours of play a day in a larger confined area (4 feet X 6 feet).

In their x-pen, they are mostly cordial to each other and sleep laying down next to each other. They also groom each other after For 90% of the time, they are completely fine. However, when there's a commotion (IE pellet bag ruffling sounds, opening the cage door, other loud clanking noises) they get excited and she tries to hump him. She'll chase him around a few times before he turns around and tries to chase her.

My questions are:
- given that it's been only 2 weeks, is this behavior normal?
- if you had a similar experience, did you let them figure it out on their own or did you actually step in?
- at this point, would you allow them more access or keep them confined?

Thank you!

Chasing is normal, as long as there's no biting or fighting involved. Humping in excitement is also normal, my bunnies have been bonded for a year and my dominant one still does it when he knows I'm about to open their cage and let them out.

If there's no violence in any of those behaviours you described, I'd say they're doing pretty well and you can probably give them more space if you choose.

Well in the excitement of newly-gained freedom they tend to run off and do their own thing for a while. They really only interact with each other when they've had their exercise, calmed down and are just sitting together grooming each other.

Over the last week, their behaviors really improved. I did two things that really helped.

1) Daily confinement for 60-90 minutes
Everyday that I got home from work, I put the two of them together into an extremely confined space. How big? Basically the size of a single litterbox. I put a litterbox inside a cardboard box with high walls. I put hay and a waterbottle in there. They basically have enough room to stretch out next to each other, but no room to run.

The confinement, plus some distracting noise (vacuum, dishwasher, etc.) keeps them uncomfortable and they huddle up and bond with each other. During this time, she becomes very protective of him, and situates herself in front of him to protect him.

2) Moving/Changing their environment
I change their enclosure every couple of days. I change the shape of the X pen, the location, the toys, the layout, etc. This keeps them from being bored and keeps them curious. They really like this - I see a lot of binkying and excitement when they discover something new.

I expect to keep 1) and 2) up for another week or so and then scaling back to see if they are behaving longer term.

Overall, they are fighting much, much less. No agitation really starts them fighting ecxept for when I have food. I've learned to compensate by not teasing with food. Instead, I throw down two piles of pellets/vege/snacks, and they are completely fine.

Back