Bonding issues with the girls.. ideas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone :). I've been trying to bond my two girls, Pebbles and Jasmine. Jasmine is very submissive, calm and gentle, but Pebbles can be a bit tricky. She isn't 'out there' aggressive, but she'll go up near Jasmine, put her head near Jas'snose (playing nice), wait until I've backed off a bit, then start nipping at her. Jasmine is quite shy with bonding, so she doesn't fight back, but I can see her flinching, so I usually have to scoot Pebbles over. I've put my hand infront of her nose while she was doing the nipping, and it'snot just tough grooming - it'shard nipping.If I'm petting Pebs, she'll be fine, sometimes even lick Jas, but as soon as I back off a bit when the two are interacting, that's when the needless biting starts!

I really am not sure why exactly she is doing this, any suggestions? She does it in neutral area, and since the girls have been bonding on and off since late December, they are quite used to each other. Pebbles doesn't show the usual aggressiveness like I had with past bonding sessionseither. Even when the two are running around in the rabbit room together (familiar territory). There's no all out tusslesor territorial/aggressive body language from Pebbles. It just seems like Pebbles can't be near Jasmine without giving her a few hard nips for no reason! It's so silly, since Jasmine is super good with other rabbits it seems, but at this point I wouldn't trust those two alone.

Any suggestions or experiences with nipping for no reason? I'm thinking Pebbles might just not be a 'rabbit rabbit' ordoesn't know it hurts Jas?

Curious from a newbie perspective - are they both fixed? Could that be why or perhaps its just females seem to require a "pride" pecking order?.. I've read (and sure your aware being a moderator) that going to the Vet together can help make them bond.. Curious though, about bonding female buns.

My cat - Tbone,hates ALL other animals (and most people - lol) did give, great patience to a kitten that I took in that was a female (hatedthis same kittens brother mind you)- thought it was only because the kitten was so young and submissive to her, but will never know as the kitten was adopted out - but for a good 2 years she was fine with her - and I never knew why..

Good luck, patience and persaverance.. Update as I'll be curious what works..

Oh yes, both are spayed :). I was planning on taking the girls in the car for bonding, but the weather was too cold before.. now that it's warmed up, I might try that sometime when I just have to run out quickly for errands :).

Aww, silly Tbone! Yeah, I think Pebbles may just not like being around other bunnies, or at least Jasmine. Not really sure with that girl, she's a goof! :D

Thanks! Will try the car bonding and see if that helps them at all.

It is possible that Pebbles just doesn't want a friend. :? Have you squirted her with a water bottle on "stream" setting when she does this? Maybe a little non-harmful negative reinforcement will do the trick. It's possible she doesn't know how hard she's nipping, since she will nip you with the same force too.

I am working on my two also (Pebbles :D and Bebe). Pebbles is afraid of Bebe, because Pebbles will always get bit if she runs. Bebe is very dominate, but will leave Pebbles alone if she doesn't run or move.

The one solution that works for me is, I can place both of them in a confined place (like in a travel carrier) where they can't move around, and both of them will sit side by side until I let them out. I don't need a car ride, when I can pick up the carrier and rock it around a bit.

Some bunnies will take longer to bond. A friends bunny (Cocoa) since Sunday is staying with us, and Pebbles and Cocoa seem to get along just fine.

Thanks!

I think I'm just going to keep working slowly with the girls.They don't seem too upset during the bonding sessionsand it gives a chance for themto have some company with another bunny. I would love itif the girls could bond, I think both would benefit from it.

They are on a towel on the computer desk at the moment. They are totally fine with each other in small areas, but when they have more room it seems Pebbles starts the nipping. :?

Latest posts

Back