Bonding help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtomicGummieBear

Reaction score
I've had my rabbit's for about nine months. I bought them together in the same litter. They have been the best of friends ever since! I had my boy fixed a couple months back but just recently had my girl spayed. Her surgery was seven days ago and I had them in desperate cages when she came home. After a few days I tried to get them back together like when I did my boy (first time around it was NO problem) and they are fighting. :( I've made a few attempts on different days to put them together out in the open and in their play area and each time they fight and my girl bun seems super scared of my boy. Even though I had them in different cages they were RIGHT next to each other the whole time. What can I do to help them get along again?

Sorry to hear of the "Break-up" it can be so frustrating and worrisome but, can be rectified.

Sounds to me like you have to treat them as 2 buns that have NEVER met each other. Did they both go to the vet when each other were fixed? Have read and always take a bonded duo together when they have to leave the house as, if one comes home not smelling like the other, problems can be had.

I understand one is in recovery and needs to be protected, so then the other one is confused and unsure what to do with the other.

I would suggest to just start the bonding process; a few mintues out togther with you putting them nose to butt (like their cuddling in the old days, side by side, but your there holding them in this place) then after a few mintues let them go, but sit right there so if they start to fight you can remove them immediately and try again in a few minutes; but do not try to hard the first few days; a few minutes is all it needs to be (they trying that is) - put them in separate place, near each other so they can smell each other but not argue.

I know the library on this site has articles about just this subject - it will just take some time, but you can get them back to Nirvana.

Post back whats going on - wish you the best.:pray:

The girl bun needs more than week or 2 to recover physically from the spay before the bonding begins; she most likely doesn't feel 'up to par" : I would just keep them separated but next to each other for several more weeks.

Latest posts

Back