Bonding Faith and Humma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape337

April
Reaction score
Well, Humma and Faith had their first date today.....

Not bad, but not good either. Hubby and I put them in the bathroom together. It's a neutral place and with a lineolium floor we hoped that would throw them off a bit. We put them down at the same time and put a plate of greens in between them. They both ate merrily with each pausing a second to look toward the other and sniff.

The issue came when they were done eating. They both moved toward each other to take a closer look, and Humma chomped her face! Hubby immediately squirted him with the water bottle and they both froze for a few seconds. Faith didn't seem fazed by Humma's reaction. She approached him again and when he reached for her she flattened her chin on the floor and froze. Humma chomped again! Again the spray. They separated and ignored each other a minute or 2, then Faith went to find Humma again. Same result. She submitted, he chomped. He must not be biting hard bc I didn't see marks on her, but we were also very quick with the spray. He chomped her backside once too, then we decided to end the date. We gave both tasty hay for a minute, then separated them. The date was around 10 minutes.

Well, we will keep trying. I'm not experienced enough with rabbit bonding to now how bad this date was. They never actually fought so I think it's ok? I felt so sorry for Faith bc she was sooo submissive to Humma, and he chomped anyway....

That was date #1(copied from my bunny blog) 2 days ago
I started a separate thread for this now bc it's not going well.

Last night was date #2
It only lasted about 7-8 minutes if that long. We started the same way with sharing a plate of greens in the bathroom. All ok. After the greens were gone Humma approached Faith, they touched noses and Faith jumped/twitched, then backed away. Humma chased her once and bit her side. 2 times they got together and we separated them bc of biting. The difference this time was Humma was the one presenting for grooming, and Faith starting the biting. The second separation left 2 wet bunnies (from water squirts) and 2 chunks of Faiths fur on the floor. Hubby bitten on the leg accidently by Faith.

I think the bathroom is a mistake. Faith is a jumpy bunny, and when she does it creates a lot of noise bc it's a linoleum floor. Also I think they may have separated themselves if they hadn't been running in place on a slippery floor. I also think maybe Faith doesn't trust Humma now bc he bit her? IDK I just feel sorry for both of them.

Tonight I'll try a carpeted hallway, more greens, a litterbox with hay, and maybe toys. I'm hoping the sure footing of the carpet will make both feel more secure, able to flee quickly, and remove sudden, unnecessary startling noises. If this date escalates or goes the same as last night I will stop bc I don't want them to hurt each other.

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated and desperately needed. I'm pouring through as much of the forum's material and links on bonding as I can. Thanks for listening. :(

We put a towel down on the tub bottom for Nibbles and Junie. That seemed to help with the sliding.

Also, I was reading on another site about bonding and the writer was saying that when bunnies put their nose to the ground in front of another bunny, it may look submissive to us, but to the other bunny it's actually a request for grooming. So if the other bunny thinks he's the dominant one, he's not going to be pleased with that kind of request. Junie's been doing the nose-to-the-ground thing and Nibbles nips her almost every time. She doesn't do it as often anymore since it obviously wasn't getting her any good attention from him!

Your bonding is sounding a lot like the bonding we've got going on between Nibbles and Junie. From what I've read (I'm not experienced with this either), it sounds like it's fairly normal. We just have to be patient and keep trying!

Two really good articles I found on bonding are here:
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml
and here: http://flashsplace.webs.com/bondingbunnies.htm.

Good luck and keep posting about future dates!

Well it's not horribly bad! It's just right! Some relationships take longer than suspected, afterall how many dates did you go on before marrying your hubby?! BinkyBunny is a great place for bonding answers and questions, I've checked it out more than once...
Myabe try meeting them through wire first or the way our SPCA suggested is get two carriers with wire doors and put the rabbits inside. Put the carriers door to door and let them smell and sort out their problems without being hurt!
Hope this helps!
Jj

Thanks for your support! I was wondering about the presentation and if it would be considered inflammatory to another bunny.

They have been living in the same room for about 3 weeks, separated by an x-pen and cardboard so they cant touch. There's one area where they can see each other, and they approach and sniff quite a lot. So I thought they would have been familiar with each others scent and sight but I was wrong. I'll keep updating after the dates, one is tonight.
I have hope again!!
Thanks!:biggrin:

Well, date #3 was a disaster....
The minute we put them in the same space (a different area than before, a carpeted hallway) they were tense and nervous. We put a plate of veggies down and they ate somewhat but at the same time they moved around the plate. When the veggies were done they separated and explored the room. The first encounter was quick, a lunge, then they both hopped away. After that, Whenever Humma passed by, faith lunged and I blocked them from getting together by putting a piece of the puzzle flooring between them. I tried dropping cilantro to each of them, they ate. Humma went into the open carrier after the second time I separated them and huddled in there. I did not allow faith to follow where I couldn't separate them. She hopped around the room and I gave Humma more cilantro. He came out and met faith in the middle of the hallway. A fight broke out and I separated them, receiving a bite from Humma on my slipper. Fortunately I was wearing big fuzzy slippers to protect my feet.

They stayed separated for about 30 sec or so then as they approached the center of the hallway they got into it again. I had great difficulty separating them this time, and neither of them wanted to back down. Even when I got the piece between them they attacked it also.

The final time they got together resulted in hubby almost being bitten by Humma, actually being bitten by faith, and me almost being bitten by Humma. I herded Humma onto the carrier with cilantro and ended the date. I saw the erect tails, but as they are both lops.....
They succeeded in pulling out hair again.
I'm a total novice in bunny behavior and bonding but my instinct is telling me not to attempt this again. Which places me in a difficult position. Hubby is very annoyed with the whole thing and does not want to continue either. He is also tired of having to navigate through an x-pen gate to get to the door into the living room.

IDK, we're all tired, stressed out, shook up, and clueless as to what to do now. I'm frustrated, hubby is angry, and I'm just trying to do the best I can considering faith was sort of pushed on us by a guy hubby does work with occasionally.

Oh boy:(:(

Maybe it's time to look for a home for Faith? Some times bunnies just don't get along. Maybe it's too soon for Humma? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Humma just lost his best friend, right? Can't blame him if he's not ready.

And Faith being pushed on you, sometimes things just don't work out.

Wishing it was better for you, but sometimes no matter how hard you try, bunnies just won't like each other. You have to now think of yourselves and Humma.

K :)

:( I'm sorry things are so difficult! I don't know what your situation is with these two rabbits, but I've read some bonding stories that say it's taken 6 months to a year to fully bond a pair. I know that sounds daunting, but it sounds like there's hope for any pair.

Thanks Karen, I appreciate the support. I think you're right, perhaps it is too soon to try and bond Humma with any rabbit right now. I feel sorry for both of them. They are both really sweet bunnies, they just don't want anything to do with each other.

I'm not really willing to give her up if i dont have to. I feel like i helped her getout of a terrible life even if it wasnt my decision, and i would like to give her the life she deserves. I've talked to hubby (after we all took some deep breaths) and convinced him to section off an area of the room for her. There would be a solid 30" wall between her and Humma an she would be loose to binky. I think that would give the both of them their own space to be free 24/7 without the stress of being together?

Whew:)

mdith4him wrote:
:( I'm sorry things are so difficult! I don't know what your situation is with these two rabbits, but I've read some bonding stories that say it's taken 6 months to a year to fully bond a pair. I know that sounds daunting, but it sounds like there's hope for any pair.

Thanks Meredith,
I've seen videos of bonding that looked quite like what I experienced today, but I think maybe someone with experience should deal with this level of aggression, just to keep everyone safe. I don't think Steve and I are helping the situation by being nervous ourselves.
Yikes
:expressionless

Well maybe they will just be single bunnies. If I were you whenever I would walk in to say hello to them I would be in the happiest mood possible. Your mood affects your rabbits mood. The maybe the feelings after a while would change, who knows! I hope all goes well! :pray:
Jj

HHhhm Sorry it hasn't been working too well with the buns. Mood definitely affects rabbits. Harvey will get mad and thump at me if I am feeling down/crying. Heh quite a different approach then what the cats do when I am in that mood. They get clingy. Nothing quite like a rabbit telling you to knock it off. Actually it usually does work haha.

Thanks everyone. Yes, they are definitely going to be single bunnies for now. I really just think they are not compatable with each other. We are always happy go lucky with our buns, it's just when we were trying to bond them we were nervous as to how they would react to each other. I think some buns bond well and some don't. Like people I suppose! :p

Back