Bonding barrier-

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystal

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I think a barrier to my bunnies bonding is that neither of them will groom each other. What happens is that they both put their heads close together as if to say "give me some lovin'" but neither is willing to. So then I think Lopsy turns to humping, and Lulu gets a bit fed up (although not agressive) and hops away.

I have tried putting banana on their heads, which only resulted in their fur sticking together, and I've tried over and over petting them both when they are side by side to try to trick them into thinking the other one is grooming them. These are the only methods I recall reading about, but neither have worked so far.

They spent 2 hours together yesterday and 70 minutes today, they are doing okay apart from Lopsy trying to hump Lulu and the grooming thing. So I am really hoping by putting this topic in the general rabbit section that more people will see it and offer some suggestions! Are there other ways I can encourage grooming, and/or should I not worry so much about it and let it happen naturally.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry Crystal,

It soundslike you're doing everything right. I had the same problem, one bun would groom, but the other (Snuff) refused. We ended up losing Angel, so I never had a bonded pair. She would groom him, which was unbelievible enough to us, lol. They ended up getting in a huge fight. I gave it a break, and we lost her.

Have you tried different neutral locations? A laundry basket would do well, you could carry them around in it for a bit. I'd keep trying the banana or something else they love, like craisens? You could smear the smell of them on their heads. Sorry, I'm not of more help. Just keep up what you're doing.:D

Good Luck!

I'm sorry that I can't help but I just have this image in my head of bunnies running around with banana slices stuck to their head and it just tickles me pink. :)

Yes it did look pretty funny with the bits of banana on their heads! but it didn't work and it did make a mess haha

But today I found something that worked! I squeezed a grape onto Lopsy head and Lulu licked it off. and then I put some on Lulu's head getting optimistic but Lopsy licked it off her head too. Don't get me wrong, there was still a lot of humping going on but I'm still pleased that they were starting to groom. Hopefully after a few more times assisted they will do it on their own. I was like putting the grape in front of them and leading them over to the other one's head so it was very assisted at this stage haha.

Today I did the session in the hallway, totally empty apart from a few bits of food for them to eat. So should I do the same kind of session again tomorrow, since it went fairly well?

Back