bonding and cages...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliesangel888

Reaction score
Hello! I am getting another bun soon from arescue and picking her up June 5th. Currantly, I have two male bunnies.Blaise is a 4 month old neutered buck, and Oliver is an 8 month oldneutered buck. I am planning on bonding my new girl bunny, Daisy, withmy male Blaise when she comes, gets used to her surroundings, and iscompletely comfortable.

My quick question is about cage arrangement. I was just wondering if Ishould set her cage up next to blaise's from the start, or have it onthe other side of the room until she gets comfortable. She has been ina shelter, and then a rescue all of her life so she is very used tosights and smells of other buns, but I'm worried that if I out her cagenext to blaise's he will get very territorial and she will getstressed. What do you think a good idea is?

I know that when I start the bonding process, their cages will be nextto eachother, its when I should do that I'm wondering! Thanks a ton andI'll include some pictures of the cuties!

Here is my male boy Blaise who will hopefully soon be paired with Daisy

Blaise4.jpg

Here is Daisy(Its the picture they had at the rescue so its not that great...)

Beatrix1.jpg

And here is my other boy oliver...

OLIVER.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and please help as soon as you can because I have to set the cage up soon!

Try this for info on bonding:

http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

Blaisy and Daisy are SO adorable!

I think it all depends on the rabbits. What might work withtwo buns, might not work with other buns. I think I would putthe cages next to each other. If any sort of odd behaviorarose, then move them to opposite ends of the room. I thinkit is females that are much, much more territorial thanmales. I was very lucky bonding my buns and didn't reallyhave any trouble. Before the bonding, I had them in separateplaypens right next to each other for a few hours aday. They have been living together for just a fewdays now and there haven't been any fights or any trouble to speakof. I am not an expert bunny owner (yet). I learnnew things everyday. And I read everything I can to learnmore and more. I hope someone with more experience will replyto your post. Good luck and keep us posted! By theway, how old are the buns? That might make a difference as inwho is the alpha-male. (I think that is what is called).

Hugs!

Shorty, Star & Krick

Hi! Daisy looks a lot like my new bun, Passat! Ihave had her for about a week and right at the start I have placedPassat's cage next to Jetta's cage. Jetta had a few outbursts ofpulling on her cage and jerking it loudly the fist day, but she settleddown about it quite quickly. Your male may exhibit the same behaviorfor about a day. Really, it didn't seem to bother me. I felt that itwas expected for Jetta to throw a tantrum. :p

That link works very well, I used it to bond my rabbits. I have a herd of three, all bonded, all sharing a cage very happily.

Very cute bunny family you have!

Oliver, the little black nethy,isabout 8 months old. Blaise is 4 months, and daisy is around2 years the rescue thinks. Between Blaise and Oliver, Blaise isdefinatly more dominant because I think he is so much bigger. I knowBlaise might be somewhat agressive at the start, but he is such asnuggle bun so he should get used to her! Well, I'm off to check outthat link, THANK YOU a ton! Any more info is greatly appreciated ;)

Thank you so much for that bonding site! Ialready knew most of the steps, but I did learn a lot, and the picciesare so adorable! I'm sure once I do one bonding, the rest will be a loteasier! Thanks again and if anyone has anymore tips, speak up :D

Latest posts

Back