Bonding after Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSeaGoddess

Reaction score
Hi All,

You might recall my previous post about my bunny that was going through false pregnancy. Well she was spayed last Thursday and came home Friday. After a scare yesterday when I discovered she had pulled all the stitches out, :shock:she's doing much better now. I took her back and this time they put staples in and put her on Baytril I guess just to be safe. I've been keeping a close eye on it and they are still there.

She's pretty much back to normal eating, drinking, pooping and seems fine. She gets the staples out on 12/29. My question is, how soon after this should I try to bond her with her male friend again? Monday, the 29th would be 11 days after being spayed...I was thinking of trying a day or 2 after the 29th but, should I wait longer for her hormones to calm down? The male buddy is neutered btw.

Thanks!

I would wait until at least the new year. Most vet say to limit excercise for at least 2 weeks after a spay. As it is an invasive operation, I would wait longer to do anything formal. It can take a month for the hormones to calm down.
I would go for around mid January to start bonding to allow her to heal and for the hormones to calm down a bit. You could so some introduction through a barrier a little before that, but no face to face stuff until then.

Thanks!!!That is what I will do....wait till mid-January. They are in the same room now but, separated so they can't really 'see' each other or anything but they know each other is there. It was funny when she was gone to be spayed, the male, his name is Kanga was just beside himself on his side of the room wondering where she was. I could tell he actually missed her! When I brought her home and let her out on her side of the room, he ran around on his side ALL excited....he was glad she was back. It was just SO cute.

On a side note, I just absolutely love rabbits...I never ever knew what fun they are to have around! :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back