Bonding advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezeta

Reaction score
Hi every one, hope you are all well and having a good weekend.

I have a problem with bonding. I just don't know where to start. I have been swapping Dexter and Jess into each others cages everynight and making sure they get used to the scents of each other. I have let Jess out of her cage so she can go up to Dexters and they both sniffed each other and seemed fine. Dexter wasn't bothered at all and continued eating and lay down and fell asleep, Jess started getting aggitated and when I went to stroke her to calm her down she lunged at me with her front paws!! I tried again and she nipped me quite hard. :(

We decided to let them meet today and we put them on a table where Jess had never been and they seemed fine for a few seconds. Dexter shows no interestin Jess at all and just sits still but Jess tried to bite him on his behind I made a loud noise and pulled her away an she went back and stared sniffing and then went for his face!!

I'm at a loss I really don't know where to begin, I want them to try and bond but I am terrified of putting them together now. My normally sweet girl hates Dexter so much I'm scared she will really hurt him.

Did I try to put them together too soon? I've heard taking them on a car ride helps because they will snuggle up for comfort. I don't know if it will bother Jess though because I think she is used to being in the car.

I'm really scared at putting the two of them together now. Any advice on what I should do and where to start would be much appreciated.

I think Jess is really jelous as this has been her home for so long I hate seeing her like this. She hasn't even done any binkys since we got him and I feel realy guilty about giving him a cuddle now :bigtears:

I have just been reading past threads on bonding and someone said they put theres in a bath with half an inch of water in and they snuggled up and stoped fighting. Would this be something I could try or is it a bad idea?

Hopefully someone else will come along with some good advice about the bonding because I haven't started mine yet, but please don't feel bad!

Jess will get used to it in time, it's only been a few days, so it's bound to be a big change for her. Mouse and Chalk were exactly the same when we got SnowBarn, but they've settled down a lot now, we just haven't let them meet each other again yet! They didn't do any binkies fora little while either, but that doesn't mean to say that they aren't happy! They're binky-tastic again now!:)

I think maybe if you just keep them apart from each other for a little while to let Dexter get settled in, and Jess get used to the new male bunny smells, they will both calm down...

I'm not sure about the bath idea, I'd heard of it before, but I read to put towels in the bottom instead of water?I think the idea is that the bath is a neutral place as buns don't tend to go in there too often lol!

Don't feel bad though, you're doing fine! And remember, you've rescued a little bunny who would have had a terrible future, if any at all otherwise, and that can never be a bad thing!

:hug1

Hi,

Don't rush the bonding...allow Dexter to settle in (we also have a Dexter). Bonding is usually easier if both have been altered. I don't think the bath idea is a good one. We do most of our bonding either on car rides or by placing them in travel carriers and putting them on top of the washing machine or clothes dryer while it's running....just make sure you don't leave them alone. The idea is to create just enough stress to force them to seek comfort in each other. It is also best done in neutral territory. We use a masking agent to cover any territorial scents and create an even playing field. We use vanilla flavoring on the bridge of their nose. They can't really smell anything else so there is no territorial advantage to either. Start by allowing them together for just a few minutes at a time in a confined area. As the acclimate to each other, allow more time and give more space. And be patient with them....sometimes it happens fast and sometimes it takes some work.

Randy

I wouldn't. What I would do is give it more time. Jess has been a single rabbit for a long time. Give her more time to be used to the idea of having another rabbit.

Thanks for your advice, Think I was being a little silly and rushing it. A lady at Phil's work told me yesterday it was best to start as soon as possible. But I'm guessing she is obviously wrong, had some good advice via pm so will be taking her advice and doing the things she suggested by swapping over their toys to start with.

oohh the vanilla flavoring idea is really clever!! Gosh you guys are all super smart hehe. Will try that when I eventually let them meet.

Thanks for the advice! xx

Latest posts

Back