Bonding a grieving rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanamuffins

Reaction score
Just today I had to have one of my sweet buns put down (went in for a routine check up, ordered blood work, and he went into shock). Very sad day for me and his best friend, Lulu.

http://imgur.com/8TR8wq2
(Binky on left, Lulu on right)

I have another bun, Greg, who has not gotten along with the other bunnies so he has lived separately. Years ago he was bonded with Lulu but they had a falling out when Binky came into the picture. I thought this may be a good time to reintroduce Lulu & Greg, while she is grieving. She will be missing her best friend and I've always felt like he's a bit lonely.

Any thoughts, opinions, or experiences with this?

I'm so sorry for the loss of your bun.

Your plan to bond with your other bun could work out. Rabbits all react so differently that I think you just will have to see how they react to each other. If they react negatively, she may need more time after her loss, before you try again. You could just start out with seeing how they are in pens/cages next to each other to judge their reactions first, before attempting a bond.

The funny thing is that they routinely sit right next to each other, but on opposite sides of a fence/cage wall. As soon as that barrier is gone they get into nasty fights - so that helps me to believe there is still hope for them. I am still nervous though, since they have had vicious fights in the past and I'm afraid this may be the one and only opportunity to do this right.

I really hope it works out for you. Sorry for your loss too. :(

Try rearranging their home, this confuses them and stops them being territorial about the space because they don't recognise it as their own any more, so they think it's new, neutral territory. It's the desire to defend their space that makes them want to attack an intruder. This method worked wonders for me when I was bonding my 2 bunnies.

Latest posts

Back