Bonding, a few questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I just thought i would see how you guys think my bonding is going. I am bonding grumpy my french lop doe with her now neutered son, but they have been apart for about 4 months or a bit more. She has always been able to see him, and her other sons because she free roams and goes to visit their hutch, so do you think she remembers him?

I have had a new shed built, so i introduced them in the shed as there is no where else that is neutral to her, apart from our house but she won't be picked up without a big fuss! But my question is, they both live in the shed in hutches, as well as many other rabbits, so will them living there mean it won't really be neutral? Even though i only let them out together to try to bond?

So they met first last night and they just had a look round their nice new shed, sniffed each other a little and basically did what they wanted. Tonight i introduced them again and grumpy groomed diesel, i was over the moon, and then she humped him, so was the grooming because she wanted to mate, or she groomed and humped because she likes him, but wants to show him who is boss?

I bonded mine successfully in non neutral territory so it can be done.

If they both live in the shed, they won't see it as neutral territory, but they could get into a good habit of realising that when they come out they get to play with each other. If you get to the point where they will be housed together, then you will probably need to have them live in a different htuch from where they live now (i.e. don't put two into a hutch that one of them is used to).

Has she been spayed? If not, then the buck can make her pregnant until 6/7 weeks or so after the neuter, so be careful.

She may not recognise them, but equally she may. Either way, it doesn't necessarily matter becausebuns can be bonded if they have not met before.

I have the same problem with grooming and humping. I think that maybe they do it to show who is boss, but also because they like the other bun. To be honest though, that's just my assumption based on my bunnies. I did most a thread abouit it in behaviour but only one person responded, so it won't be much help to you.

It sounds promising so far :)

Back