bonding 2 males - help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirsten J

Reaction score
My two bunnies came to me, rather than being chosen, at seperate times a few months back. I had no experience at all with rabbits. Antbunny was malnourished and weak, and I fed him up, he got stronger and bonded with me immediately, he adores me and likes my husband too. Two-tone came along and I kept them seperately in different rooms, and when he matured I had them both neutered. Two-tone was wilder but with time and input he is completely bonded to me, will let me pick him up and cuddle, but won't let anyone else near him. I read up extensively on bonding the rabbits, and started after a month post-neutering. But from the start, even riding in the car, they wanted to kill each other if they could. I've tried to do everything right, but if they are less than 30cm away they want to attack and BITE, and it looks like kill, each other. We are frequent travellers, and my husband wants to go on a long trip, but we can't go unless the bunnies are bonded and can live together in a small yard outside, so someone can feed them and they won't be lonely. Am I the problem - that they both are bonded with me? If I give Two-Tone up, will he struggle to bond with another human? It will break my heart to do it, but we can't leave home unless they are sorted. Is there any hope for them to bond?:?:?

You might try putting them in adjacent rooms with a baby gate or some such between the rooms & see if they won't settle down.

And will they be safe from predators outside? I'd worry about hawks & other large birds. Couldn't someone come inside & feed them, whether or not they are bonded?

Rabbits are never an easy call. Our Commander Bun-Bun was a problem girl--she would attack any bun no matter how large. Could not bond her to anything except maybe a rock and I'd feel sorry for the rock. Good luck.

Thank you so much for these replies. I have tried the bathtub, the car, and areas of the house neither has been. Nancy, I think I might just give them each a rock for company lol! But seriously I'll wait a week now, and try the idea of the baby gate. And LakeCondo we have secured the small yard - which is more like a big atrium - with shade cloth overhead so they will be safe from predators. thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back