Bonded rabbits fight after baby bunnies in home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have 2 sister dwarf hotots same litter that are 3 mos old they have been getting along just fine eating laying sleeping and playing together until last night when the breeder came over with 6 babies and rubbed a baby all over the submissives face, they were tornadoing dominant was humping the submissives head and they were all out fighting. We have separated and tried to get them back together a couple times which failed, and the submissive freaks out if she even gets near the dominant. The breeder suggested baths for them, however I read you shouldn't bathe them and feel it may stress them out even more. They currently have a multi level 10 foot by 2.5 foot cage and we let them free roam the living room. Any suggestions on how we can fix this?

Honestly, they are at the age where hormones start and can interfere in rabbits bonding, and you may just need to keep them separate now until you can get them both spayed, wait 3-4 weeks minimum for the hormones to fade, then go through the proper bonding process. But just know that there is no guarantee they will rebond. Everything changes when a rabbit matures and those hormones come in. Baby rabbits that once got along can sometimes decide they no longer like each other as adults. Baby bonds aren't considered real bonds.
http://www.saveabunny.org/rabbitcare/bonding-guide
https://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/
http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together

If either of them is continuing to show aggression towards the other through cage/pen bars, then I would even keep them in completely separate rooms until spayed, through the wait period, and then only put them near each other when you are ready to rebond.

DO NOT BATH! Bathing rabbits is generally not considered a good idea. At most only butt baths are suggested in extreme circumstances, when absolutely necessary. Full baths can be extremely stressful for rabbits, can cause a risk of hypothermia occurring, and in some instances it has even induced a cardiac arrest. I know some people do it, but I do not recommend it at all due to the possible health risks.

I don't recommend trying to put them back together right now, I recommend separation, but if you are intent on trying to get them back together, taking the urine or urine soaked litter of the dominant rabbit and rubbing it on the submissive rabbit may help get rid of the baby rabbits smell. But be aware that continued aggression and fighting now can not only result in possible serious injury(including a life threatening injury such as an evisceration, which does and can happen with aggressive rabbits), but could also cause building fear and resentment that could damage any possibility of a future bond occurring.

Thank you this is all very helpful Esther Bunny is really afraid of Half and Half and though they were getting along "just fine" before, now that they have been separated for a day Esther is a lot more friendly and relaxed. I thought the best thing would be to get them back to where they were but I think it is best to wait. On the plus side their cage is big enough to keep them separate indefinitely if needed.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20190412_144839.jpg
    20190412_144839.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190412_144812.jpg
    20190412_144812.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 8
Sounds like a good plan. Usually separation is the best thing, especially for the submissive rabbit who just needs a break from constantly being hassled by an overly dominant rabbit.

Latest posts

Back