Bonded pair trouble!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tasha93x

Reaction score
Hey, wondering if anybody has any suggestions about a bit of bonded pair trouble.

Blue (12 years old neutered male) and Ginger (6 years old unneutered female) have been happily bonded and living together for about 3 years now. However, lately i've noticed Ginger is mounting Blue and he's just too slow now to escape her! He's pretty old and can't deal with her chasing him ragged and i'm worried he might end up hurt. Our original plan was to get Ginger neutered when we first got her but her and Blue bonded so well we thought it would work out okay. I'm thinking her mounting is just down to hormones so would spaying her sort the problem? are there increased risks to getting an older bunny spayed?(all our other bunnies are neutered but they got down when they were quite young).
Not keen to resorting to separating them because they just get on so well :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!,

Thanks, Natasha

My guess is that something has changed in how he smells due to age factors that she is reacting to. OR something is setting her off IF this is unusual behaviour for her. I'd get them both vetted thoroughly to rule out other factors first.

I'd definitely say I notice more of her behaviour in Spring which was why I was thinking it might be hormonal? It never used to be a problem because Blue could easily get away and put her in her place,he's just slowed down a lot with age! Hadn't considered it could be how he smells,they're due they're vaccinations in a few weeks will get them both checked over. Thanks for your reply ladysown :)

Latest posts

Back