Bonded bunnies scuffling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
We have 2 bonded bunnies - Gizmo is a 3 year old spayed female we've had for about 2 years - Nova is a 2 year old spayed female we've had since November

We had a very easy and successful bond with Nova and Gizmo, it only took about 2 weeks before they were full on living together - they immediately groomed one another, would flop near each other, spend their time together, and have seemed to live harmoniously since being bonded in November.

Last night I awoke to them fighting and scuffling. Then this morning they seemed fine, all day they've seemed fine - up until now when they had another round of arguing. All night they've been fine - eating together, lying close to one another, Nova was grooming Gizmo and they seemed absolutely fine, and then 1/2 hour later they're circling around each other. I can't tell which one seems to be the instigator.

We did have to move the bunnies pen to another room in the house about 2 weeks ago because we were having some work done on the house. Then 3 days ago I brought their pen back upstairs to their 'normal' spot. That's really the only change they've had. Otherwise I cannot think of anything that could be interrupting their normal routine and causing this.

I'm not sure if their bond is 'broken' because they do have moments of acting bonded.

For now I'm going to separate them to be safe but I worry about the entire situation - what do I do??? I appreciate any advice I can get - I'm not sure what to do?!?!

We have 2 bonded bunnies - Gizmo is a 3 year old spayed female we've had for about 2 years - Nova is a 2 year old spayed female we've had since November

We had a very easy and successful bond with Nova and Gizmo, it only took about 2 weeks before they were full on living together - they immediately groomed one another, would flop near each other, spend their time together, and have seemed to live harmoniously since being bonded in November.

Last night I awoke to them fighting and scuffling. Then this morning they seemed fine, all day they've seemed fine - up until now when they had another round of arguing. All night they've been fine - eating together, lying close to one another, Nova was grooming Gizmo and they seemed absolutely fine, and then 1/2 hour later they're circling around each other. I can't tell which one seems to be the instigator.

We did have to move the bunnies pen to another room in the house about 2 weeks ago because we were having some work done on the house. Then 3 days ago I brought their pen back upstairs to their 'normal' spot. That's really the only change they've had. Otherwise I cannot think of anything that could be interrupting their normal routine and causing this.

I'm not sure if their bond is 'broken' because they do have moments of acting bonded.

For now I'm going to separate them to be safe but I worry about the entire situation - what do I do??? I appreciate any advice I can get - I'm not sure what to do?!?!

I haven't had bonded bunnies, but based on the many other animals I've had, from my experience fights occur when animals are bored, and feel they don't have their own 'safe space'. I'd try and up their exercise, and cage space, a tired animal is a well behaved animal.
Perhaps if one animal is bigger, create a shelf that only they can get on. Or allow one to have alone play time, and then switch out for the other. I know recently from my cats, that even though they love each other (they are father and daughter) that they can get sick of each other if I don't play with them, and they don't have the chance to get away from the other one sometimes.
Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back