Blueberries...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisy126

Reaction score
Today we went to the farmers market (and looked at all the beautiful flowers we couldn't have in Minnesota *sigh*) and I bought some blueberries (yes, for Batty:biggrin2:). But I have no clue whether the have pest/herbicide on them but if they do, would washing them off be enough to get it off?

Thank you,
Maiz

Some more knowledable person on this site had told me early on to wash all my fruits and vegetables w/veg wash - which I found at my local grocery store in the produce section and I use that for myself and Baxter!

Will you post and tell me if Batty likes blueberries? Their rather expensive here in Los Angeles so before I buy for Baxter! I'd like to see if other buns go for them. Thanks!

Washing them with water should be fine. Pesticides and herbicides used on food have to be water soluble to be allowed. Most of them dissipate pretty quickly, the EPA usually bans those that don't because of the harm they can cause.

Mmm, blueberries!

Wow, I am soooo glad that he's able to eat them!:biggrin2::biggrin2:

I got them because they were $3.00 (I have no clue how much, you would have to cup like two and a half hands together to hold them all *shrugs*) and normally they are $1.48 for about 8 oz!

Hope he likes em' I always wash veggies, even if I grew them myself I would, you never know what might be on there.

Sooo - did he like the blueberries? So curious as they are astronomically priced here in Los Angeles - but willing to spoil Baxter! to the extent of my budget.. Let me know..

juliew19673 wrote:
Sooo - did he like the blueberries? So curious as they are astronomically priced here in Los Angeles - but willing to spoil Baxter! to the extent of my budget.. Let me know..
Riley loves blueberries. It is the first fruit I got her. Since she doesn't get much and I didn't know how long they would last I originally bought the real ones and now have the Just Tomatos brand of Just Blueberries. They are freeze dried and she likes those too.

When I made this topic, I was in Texas (we had to drop off our dog, Jack) and now we are back, but Batty is still being baby-sat. So I won't know if he likes them for at least another day;).

I found today Baxter! loves strawberries and apples but not blueberries (previously found out he did not like blackberries - maybe its a "berry thing" w/him - lol!_

I bought some today for Myself and Baxter! (had the extra dollars) and He didn't go for them, but hedid buy the Bok Choy, which he "liked" and ate, but not all that smitten with ( so tomorrow I will cook it for myself and the BF),.

Finding a buns "pallete" is quite the shopping experience I"ve found, but it also may your own pallette "grow"..

*sigh* Batty didn't like them, and I don't really like them either, their kinda tasteless...oh well, if they last, I'll give them away at our rabbit meeting (to somebody who's bunny has a 'palette' for blueberries:biggrin2:)

maisy126 wrote:
*sigh* Batty didn't like them, and I don't really like them either, their kinda tasteless...oh well, if they last, I'll give them away at our rabbit meeting (to somebody who's bunny has a 'palette' for blueberries:biggrin2:)

Really? My bunnies all think that blueberries are 'da bomb! I usually slice them in half, as some of the buns are reluctant to bite through the skin...same with grapes. Well, I don't know for certain that's the reason...may be that they have a tough time handling the roundness of them. Did you try slicing the blueberry in 2? Might be worth a go if you didn't.

Maybe the fact that they were tasteless made Batty ignore them. Here on the east coast, blueberries don't come into season for a while. And winter berries shipped from other places before ripening don't have nearly the yummy taste of local ones picked at the height of their quality.

I'm so glad we livein PA, because NJ is right nextdoor, and that state produces the most awesome blueberries on earth!!! (Can you tell I am an addict?)

Well, some bunnies just have unusual tastes, LOL. I have a couple that don't like cranberries. :shock:

Bunnicula wrote:
maisy126 wrote:
I usually slice them in half, as some of the buns are reluctant to bite through the skin...same with grapes. Well, I don't know for certain that's the reason...may be that they have a tough time handling the roundness of them. Did you try slicing the blueberry in 2? Might be worth a go if you didn't.
Hmmm, I will try that, thank you bunnicula!

Latest posts

Back