Blue eyes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweenkylie

Reaction score
Hey all just noticed today that one of the baby rabbits (a white one) has blue eyes. All my previous babies have brown can anyone tell me if blue is a bad thing lol

I thought at first he/she might of been blind because she followed the scent of her brother/sister and didnt see dips when moving around he/she always fell off things. He/she also didnt learn to hop when the others did he/she took an extra week or so.

Can anyone advise me

Thanks

If both rabbits you mated were vienna carriers then you will get blue eyed white babies out. :) ( vienna carriers are rabbits that carry the blue eyed white gene. usually they have random white markings anything from a white spot to nearly being dutch marked)

Wow thank you so much for the information. i didn't know any of them had the gene lol mum is white and dad is chocolate brown but maybe his parents had it or something.

there is soo many different gene's and colours to find out about I wish I could find it all out.

are all genes the same for all breeds? or is there certain genes for dwarf lops etc?

SilverBirchRabbitry wrote:
pamnock wrote:
The Dutch marking gene and chinchilla genes can also produce bright blue eyes.

Pam

I never knew the chinchilla gene produces blue eyes! I guess you learn something new every day!

:biggrin2:

The chinchilla gene is often the culprit in cases of blacks with blue eyes (which I've seen in Hollands and Mini Rex that did not have BEW in their lines). Also frequently seen in Jersey Woolies. The chin gene can also produce brown eyes in dilutes as well as marbled eyes.

Pam

I've never seen marbled eyes. Two of my holland Lop bucks are BEW carriers. Blaze's father-Panda- was a BEW and Speedle's father(Rocket)'s mother(Isabella) was a BEW.
Isabella and Panda were BEW brother and sister. Speedle has thrown me a few dilute babies, but Blaze never has. Blaze hasn't been bred to a broken before either(He's broken orange), whereas Speedle's been to a solid black and a broken Tort and pulled dilutes from both. color genetics will always fascinate me.
Just so much to think about as I comb through the pedigrees on what to look for.

Back