Blue Eyes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flopsy&Mopsy

Reaction score
I am going on my second month with my two new holland lops. One is Orange and one is Seal. The Seal bunny seems to have blue eyes. Not the Iris, but where the white on the usually is, she has a blue tint. Its is a teal blue tint that makes it seem that she has entirely blue eyes. I was wondering if this was common in this coloring or if this is significant for any reason? I previously almost adopted a deaf bunny and she had blue eyes, but she was also all white - my new addition is not.

I am just curious, any insights welcome! Thanks for your time!

Here are two pictures. Its hard cause the lighting is low and I didnt want to blind the little thing with a flash!! The white that is usually around the eye has a blue tint....

Thanks again! ((sorry the second one is so big, im new to this whole image posting thing))

0612090046.jpg

and

0612090047a.jpg

confuszed

How old is she?

In humans the whites of the eyes will have a blue tint to them due to the sclera being thin when they are young. This could probably be the same with your rabbit.

Most probably your rabbit will grow out of this.

I'm not too sure about anything else, there aren't many things in nature that can cause blue coloration.

She looks fine, just something natural going on in her eye. :) For future reference though, she isn't a seal. She looks like a frosty to me.

Bunnies eyes are supposed to be like that ;) It's just like our eyes are coloured around the iris, but you can see more of the white. On bunnies, you just see that colouring around the iris, and not much white.

They don't look blue though, they look like gray-ish blue, or maybe a gray-green almost...The pictures are hard to tell because they're dark. Maybe you could get ones of her in natural light?

Emily

She's talking about the white of the eye, which all rabbits have. It is just because the sclera is thin, (the sclera is what the white part of the eye is called). It's hard to tell but I can see what she means.

What you are all thinking of is the iris which is the colored bit in human eyes.

As I said before this will clear up as she gets older. If it doesn't, well that would be a reason to see a vet. I know in humans it can signify connective muscle issues.

Back