Blue Eyes, Brown Eyes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelanatty

Natty Dwarfs Rabbitry
Reaction score
I have a blue ND buck that is 4 weeks old. He is very very good and I really want to show him when gets older but it seems that he has brown eyes. That is, until he got in front of the camera flash. In his pictures, his eyes look perfectly blue.

13125_141355_270000003.jpg

So then I tried pictures without the flash and his eyes almost still look blue, but you can kind of see how they look brown.

13125_141801_140000002.jpg

13125_141801_140000001.jpg

13125_141801_140000000.jpg

This is kind of worrying me because it has happened before. I had another solid blue buck out of a completely different doe with no relation at all to this little guy's mother whose eyes seemingly started out the right color. I showed him at our state show and he won BOG. A couple of shows later he was DQ'ed for his brown eyes, so I sold him.

I don't really know what to do about this. If his eyes really are blue, then he deserves to show. If not, then he is going to be a project for an FFA kid.

What are your thoughts?

To me, they appear bluish in both photos. They are probably just a rather dark blue rather than true brown. (from what I can tell from the photos) I would avoid mixing any chins into the breedings, as that can result in blues with brown eyes.

Aha! Thank you so much!
The chin is the original problem that is causing this then!
The sire of both of my blues that had this problem was the same rabbit, and his pedigree has chin all over! He is a silver marten, so it is not unusual for him to come out of chins, but I didn't know it would cause me so much trouble.
Again thank you so much Pam! :biggrin:

Back