Blue eyed white genetics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mekkispets

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,Im just wondering if someone can tell me why when I breed two BEW lionheads do I get some babies with red eyes?Shouldnt they be all blue eyed babies? I would appreciate links to sites with good info around this and bew/Vienna genetics if anyone knows of any,

Thanks in advance:)

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Nikki is a REW and her two brothers and a sister were all Broken Tan and Whites with brown eyes like the mother.
REW is different than BEW though. REW is like a couch cover that you throw over the couch - it "hides" the genetics of the colors but they're there.

BEW actually affects the couch (using the same analogy).

I hope that makes sense.

TinysMom wrote:
Nancy McClelland wrote:
Nikki is a REW and her two brothers and a sister were all Broken Tan and Whites with brown eyes like the mother.
REW is different than BEW though. REW is like a couch cover that you throw over the couch - it "hides" the genetics of the colors but they're there.

BEW actually affects the couch (using the same analogy).

I hope that makes sense.
Thanks,So then if you breed rew to bew you could wind up with the colours under the cloth showing up,is thatright? or would you expect the babies to be white with both blue and red eyes?

I know but I love white rabbits:nod

SL376229.jpg

mekkispets wrote:

Thanks,So then if you breed rew to bew you could wind up with the colours under the cloth showing up,is thatright? or would you expect the babies to be white with both blue and red eyes?
Yes! Peg had explained it very well - you'll get multiple colors that might be hiding under the "cloth". Piebalds of different varieties are common when crossing BEW x REW.

This is the information I have about BEW
BEW X BEW=100% BEW
BEW X Normal= 100% Vienna mark carriers
Vienna carrier X Vienna Carrier= 25%BEW 50%Vienna Carriers 25% Normal
Vienna Carrier X BEW= 50%BEW 50%Vienna carrier
Vienna carrier X Normal= 25% Vienna Carrier 75% Normal

Using REW in a BEW breeding program can cause a red cast to the eyes of your rabbits which can look weird. Also having REW in your breeding program can cause you to get REW when you expected BEW instead.

I have a Vienna mark angora that was bred from a BEW and a vienna mark and he came from a litter with several blue eyes whites. I've heard alot of people say they prefer to use vienna marks and blue eyes whites for breeding program only and not use any REW.

Back