Blue based eye?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
I have a little broken Chinchilla buck with the strangest eyes. He doesn't have regular Dutchy-type Vienna markings (he's out of my Vienna), but his eyes are whats the strangest. They're brown, but not solid brown. Almost like a 'speckled brown' (heavy on the brown) over a blue base. Or brown with blue brushed in :?

Vienna, or no? Both the siblings I have both have full, bright blue eyes. I'll try to remember better pics tomorrow :)

20tihlj.jpg

Another quick question: Whats the genotype for a self-black carrying REW (scattered white hairs that are NOT caused by broken, silver, or Vienna)

Sooo...
aab_C_D_E_Cc?

wish i could help you out. His eyes remind me of some of my harlies. Their eye color doesn't matter in the magpies, so there are some odd shades of them out here.

They seem to be marbled. I'm not a great genetics whiz, so I can't really tell you why they are like that. lol Something to do with the chinchilla genes perhaps...

Thanks for the replies :D He is a Chinchilla out of a Vienna buck. The 'base color' is a really bright, beautiful blue. I'll put him down as a Chinchilla Vienna, I'm not keeping him in my breeding program as his eyes are less then 50% solid blue.

Is he broken, or does he have white markings on him? There is definite difference between broken and vienna marked. ;)

The Standard calls for either Blue, brown, blue-gray or marbled eyes in Chinchillas - so it's more than likely just a breed thing.

If his markings are indeed Vienna markings, then he would be a Chinchilla Vienna. Could you post a full-body picture?

Emily.

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Is he broken, or does he have white markings on him? There is definite difference between broken and vienna marked. ;)

The Standard calls for either Blue, brown, blue-gray or marbled eyes in Chinchillas - so it's more than likely just a breed thing.

If his markings are indeed Vienna markings, then he would be a Chinchilla Vienna. Could you post a full-body picture?

Emily.

He's more of a broken, I'd say. Buut Vienna's do come in broken-imitating patterns so it's a bit of a quirk. His sire (Charlie Blue) is almost more of a dark Chinchilla versus a black. I'll have to look at him tomorrow. Charlie Blue is also a quirk, he's either a Vienna+broken, or a Vienna+charlie. Won't find out for a few more weeks!

The little bucks brother is a Black Otter Vienna (not a marten, I double checked today!). His sister is either an otter or a marten, I just haven't checked yet. Both are black-based, I THINK their out of my black Havana doe (I bought the buck and the three kits as a package deal, didn't get a chance to talk to the seller though).

This is the little Chinchilla, trying to beg treats off me:
1502876.jpg

He must carry some vienna genes from his parents. I have a seal point bunny. when she is about 2 months old, her eyes is dark blue but soon the eyes gradually change to brownish color as she grows up

Back